• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Guessing the end Client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guessing the end Client

This has happened to me twice in the last few days, usual speculative bumf (via linked in) from some pimp I've never heard of, replied with a ' is this role with company XXX'?. Was right both times! My question is if you can work out the company from the pimps initial waffle do you then apply direct or continue with the original correspondence?

I've never had this, but what does it matter if you already know somebody at the client? Go for it without the agent. Client will be happy to cut them out or reduce their percentage.

If you don't already know the client then the agent is in charge. Unless its a role that is openly advertised via the clientco website.

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
      This has happened to me twice in the last few days, usual speculative bumf (via linked in) from some pimp I've never heard of, replied with a ' is this role with company XXX'?. Was right both times! My question is if you can work out the company from the pimps initial waffle do you then apply direct or continue with the original correspondence?
      That's my policy going forward, to go direct. Pimps have used and abused info I've given them over the years for their own gain. What's sauce for the goose...

Comment

Originally posted by masonryan View Post
        That's my policy going forward, to go direct. Pimps have used and abused info I've given them over the years for their own gain. What's sauce for the goose...
        You need to be careful what you see in these forums. There are some agents who are pretty good at sniffing out who is who in real life.

Comment

Knowing the client doesn't necessarily mean that you will know the right individual there to contact - if the client is after a quick start, then by the time you have worked out who to contact and got your CV in there, they may well have recruited via an agency.

Some clients have a policy of not dealing direct, normally on the mistaken belief that they are insulating themselves from employee rights. If you know (or suspect) that the client takes people on direct, then go for it, but you may find that you are wasting your time and theirs.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
            Knowing the client doesn't necessarily mean that you will know the right individual there to contact - if the client is after a quick start, then by the time you have worked out who to contact and got your CV in there, they may well have recruited via an agency.

Some clients have a policy of not dealing direct, normally on the mistaken belief that they are insulating themselves from employee rights. If you know (or suspect) that the client takes people on direct, then go for it, but you may find that you are wasting your time and theirs.
            True its never black and white, I just like playing the guess the client game as I am not looking right now!

Comment

True its never black and white, I just like playing the guess the client game as I am not looking right now!
              It's nice when the phone goes silent because you've managed to guess, despite their best efforts to be secretive
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                Some clients have a policy of not dealing direct, normally on the mistaken belief that they are insulating themselves from employee rights.
                True, but even if they won't take you directly, they may well interview and offer, and then ask one of their PSL agents to take you purely for the admin side of things at a much lower %age cut, in which case more of the rate comes to you (in theory).

Comment

There are two easy ways to find out the end client
                  1. If the agency sends you a job spec, just look at the properties of the word document and you might find the original author, in about half of all cases it will tell you the name of the person who wrote it and the company he worked for
                  2. Just google a bit of the job spec, sometimes this will lead you to the original job ad (although this is more for perm jobs) or if you google the bit that describess the company (phrases like we serve 5000 satisfied customers in 40 countries) this may lead you to the home page of the end client

Comment

I've noticed a trend recently: agents always tell me who the client is. Either they trust me not to go direct, or (far more likely) know that the client doesn't deal with contractors directly.

Comment

Working...
                    X