• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bobs and racism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bobs and racism

Like everyone I'm totally against racism. It's stupid. Treat people according to their character not where they are from.

At the same time different regions do have their peculiarities. Dutch people are disarmingly to the point, Americans are brash, the Irish a good laugh, the English sinister.

So I went to an interview last week and the bloke doing the technical part was a bob. If he had been from Yorkshire I would have said he was autistic. He asked esoteric closed technical questions with zero body language as to whether I was answering them to his satisfaction. But they seemed to be using completely out of date tech and when gently probed on this he kind of clammed up.

I walked out thinking that I couldn't really work with the bloke. I could just picture the blank face if I tried to get something done that required any kind of gumption.

They offered me the role but I turned it down. I would have done the same for any interview where the team leader came across as gormless but I'm wondering if I should have been more open to different cultures.

Hmmm.....
    Last edited by DieScum; 23 October 2013, 08:51.

I would think this is a 2 way street, can you imagine what the bobs think of suity?

Comment

You rejected it on grounds that were nothing to do with race or ethnicity, so dont beat yourself up, my two pennorth.

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
        You rejected it on grounds that were nothing to do with race or ethnicity, so dont beat yourself up, my two pennorth.
        Yeah, absolutely nothing to do with race purely behaviour. At one point the dev manager said, after I has asked about some specifics of their code, to him "Hey, could you grab a laptop and show him some of the code"... he slowly turned his head and agreeably said "No". I wasn't sure where to look.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
          Like everyone I'm totally against racism. It's stupid. Treat people according to their character not where they are from.

At the same time different regions do have their peculiarities. Dutch people are disarmingly to the point, Americans are brash, the Irish a good laugh, the English sinister.
          This is, of course, utter bulltulip. And if you're against racism then why the need to point out your interviewer was a "bob"? Change the word bob to "black", or "Jewish" or "disabled" and then see how it reads.

Comment

Originally posted by aoxomoxoa View Post
            This is, of course, utter bulltulip. And if you're against racism then why the need to point out your interviewer was a "bob"? Change the word bob to "black", or "Jewish" or "disabled" and then see how it reads.
            'Bob' is a term of endearment isn't it?

Comment

Yeah, it's a fair point. If I am being racist I need to have a word with myself.
              Last edited by DieScum; 23 October 2013, 09:50.

Comment

So I went to an interview last week and the bloke doing the technical part was disabled. If he had been female I would have said he was a transsexual. He asked esoteric closed technical questions with zero body language as he was a quadraplegic. But they seemed to be using completely out of date tech and when gently probed on this he kind of clammed up due to his voice box batteries going flat, a'la Hawkins

I walked out thinking that I couldn't really work with the bloke. I could just picture the blank face if I tried to get something done that required any kind of gumption as he was also deaf and I don't think he could lip read.

They offered me the role but I turned it down. I would have done the same for any interview where the team leader was a CUK regular and came across as gormless but I'm wondering if I should have been more condescending.

Hmmm.....
                FTFY....
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Yeah, it's a fair point. If I am being racist I need to have a word with myself.
                  Is that cuz you is black?
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Standard opening line of every proper racist.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X