• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The annual flu season debate with permies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The annual flu season debate with permies

Has started here in anger. A N Other contractor has crawled in today with some throat/head/lung lurgy. I congratulated him. The permies are not so happy. One of them has booked a week's annual leave next week and is now complaining he will be sick for it because of this contractor.

Every year it's the same.

I recommended any of the following solutions :

a) Allow contractors to still bill for sick days, and indemnify them against any IR35 hearings.
    b) Get a flu jab.
    c) Don't go on holiday during the sniffle season, save it for when the weather is nice.

I do kind of sympathise with him though as he is not allowed to carry his A/L across to next year, and got a good late deal on a nice hotel.

Anyone else had a run in with permies complaining about you turning up to work with bubonic plague?

(SY05 and 06 were projectile vomiting last night, and I've been feeling like it's catching up with me today, may have to vom on his shoes )

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Wife made me have a 'flu jab on Saturday.

At least she said it was a 'flu jab...

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      b) Get a flu jab.
      If it's not flu, then that's as useful as the rest of your normal advice.
      c) Don't go on holiday during the sniffle season, save it for when the weather is nice.
      Next week is half-term for many schools. Sometimes, children like to spend that time with their parents - I can imagine that isn't the case for you, but with lots of the rest of us, it is.

Anyone else had a run in with permies complaining about you turning up to work with bubonic plague?
      No

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Am currently on 4th day sick with the current severe cold/flu lurgy which I caught from the permies who were coughing and spluttering everywhere. I considered dragging myself in today but I would struggle to do much and would just perpetuate the current epidemic.

My beef is with open plan hotdesking environments, with no proper cleaning. Noble exception of North Somerset council in Clevedon last year, disinfectant wipes and cleaners wiping down door handles etc.

Comment

Last place I worked one contractor had a severe cold/flu + allergies for what seemed like months. He was coughing and spluttering all over the shop. The permies constantly moaned about it, I loved that it annoyed them as they were mostly idiots.

Comment

If you are a permie and ill while on holiday you can claim the holiday back.....

HR hate it when you know more about the law than they do....
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The whole team caught whooping cough off of a newly arrived Bob. Several of us were on inhalers and the post symptoms went on for months.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                The whole team caught whooping cough off of a newly arrived Bob. Several of us were on inhalers and the post symptoms went on for months.
                Well done Bob, what a trooper!

Paddy, you need to man up fella
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  You're lucky it wasn't TB.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    You're lucky it wasn't TB.
                    That's the stuff of nightmares, you find the Bob has been outsouced and replaced by Tony Blair
                    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Working...
                    X