• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could you pass a Cambridge University interview?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could you pass a Cambridge University interview?

I'm not smart enough..

Could you pass a Cambridge University interview? - Telegraph

Lost on this question:

Q.8 An unbiased cubic die has numbers 1 to 6 inscribed on each side. On average, how many rolls will you need in order to get a 6?

Well I answered 1 instead of 6 given that the numbers 1 through 6 and inscribed on each side? But no...

Thickos can't even write the question properly.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Since I didn't get in (twice) I already know the answer is "no"

Shame, as I didn't feel I'd shown my best and got a bit flustered, but oh well. I got asked (IIRC):

"I have a cube where each edge is a resister of resistance R. What is the resistance between opposite corners"
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Since I didn't get in (twice) I already know the answer is "no"

Shame, as I didn't feel I'd shown my best and got a bit flustered, but oh well. I got asked (IIRC):

"I have a cube where each edge is a resister of resistance R. What is the resistance between opposite corners"
      That's a 3D Wheatstone bridge that is, which is equal to (1/r1*1/r4*1/7)+(1/r2*1/r5*1/r8)+(1/r3*1/r6*1/9) I think.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

It's six surely? SAS will back me up and praise my thinking.....

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          I'm not smart enough..

Could you pass a Cambridge University interview? - Telegraph

Lost on this question:

Q.8 An unbiased cubic die has numbers 1 to 6 inscribed on each side. On average, how many rolls will you need in order to get a 6?

Well I answered 1 instead of 6 given that the numbers 1 through 6 and inscribed on each side? But no...

Thickos can't even write the question properly.
          As you say it's a trick question, they say it has 1 to 6 inscribed on each side

So the answer has to be 1,as each roll is guaranteed a six

If they don't mean that their question is invalid
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
            As you say it's a trick question, they say it has 1 to 6 inscribed on each side

So the answer has to be 1,as each roll is guaranteed a six

If they don't mean that their question is invalid
            That would be EVERY side, wouldn't it? It's a question of semantics....

Comment

I got 80%

But then I DID pass a Cambridge interview, back in 1988

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                I got 80%

But then I DID pass a Cambridge interview, back in 1988
                Didn't know Cambridge had a Poly back then?

Sorry, SASguru mode on/off...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  That would be EVERY side, wouldn't it? It's a question of semantics....
                  If it didn't have side it's wouldn't be a dice ergo they are wrong, each/every in this context still means the same thing their argument is still invalid
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

I got 20% but when I was six I didn't get a bike for Christmas so I got a place - yay!

Comment

Working...
                    X