• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pay, pay more and then pay again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pay, pay more and then pay again

This seems to be the New Lie philosophy going forward.

They realise that they can't be seen to put existing taxes up too much without attracting attention. Now the focus is to introduce new taxes on top of old.

e.g.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5253990.stm

People could pay for the amount of rubbish they produce under plans being considered by the government.

So we pay very high council tax to include refuse collection and now there will be a charge on top.

We pay fuel duty, VAT and road tax for cars and now they are going to stick toll roads and congestion charging on top.

This is the New Lie trend. Pay, pay more and then pay again.

Originally posted by DimPrawn
    This seems to be the New Lie philosophy going forward.

They realise that they can't be seen to put existing taxes up too much without attracting attention. Now the focus is to introduce new taxes on top of old.

e.g.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5253990.stm

People could pay for the amount of rubbish they produce under plans being considered by the government.

yourself So we pay very high council tax to include refuse collection and now there will be a charge on top.

We pay fuel duty, VAT and road tax for cars and now they are going to stick toll roads and congestion charging on top.

Why not ditch the car and frustrate the Government the Oiliogarchy and save yourself a few bob?

You know it makes sense...

Comment

Oh don't be silly

How can you fly-tip all your rubbish without a car?
      D'oh, some people, tsk tsk.
      Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
        But it's "fair", DP, it's "fair".
        We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

I was thinking of making one of those medieval ballista things and catapaulting all my rubbish into neighbors' gardens at night. If it works I might try and save on sewerage costs too.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Gee here's an idea, why dont we get supermarkets and co to REDUCE the amount of packaging they use! That would be far more effective than a farken tax hike! Although, that would mean the government would miss out on some easy lolly!

After all, I guess its only fair!

Mailman

Comment

Good idea Mailman

(Now there's something you don't hear often!!!!)

But of course if supermarkets did reduce the amount of packaging used, then their profits would increase, allowing for a windfall tax on them.
              Actually it's the producers of the goods rather than the supermarkets who would become more profitable, but the idea still applies. And even if the packagers didn't increase profits, they could certainly be 'deemed' to have done so.
              It's only fair, after all.
              Why not?

Comment

Maybe rather than taxing motorists for driving fuel inefficient cars, manufacturers could be taxed more for producing them.

eg have a higher rate of VAT on new car prices (ranging all the way up to 100%) for inefficient cars.

No one would buy them (except Threaded) and problem solved.

Comment

I've been fly tipping for years since they started charging businesses to get rid of their rubbish at tips.
                  Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
                    I've been fly tipping for years since they started charging businesses to get rid of their rubbish at tips.
                    I'll be starting if this goes ahead. Any tips?

I'll also be sneaking my rubbish into my neighbours' bins when they leave them out at night for the early morning dustman run.

Sneaky is best.

Comment

Working...
                    X