• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LinkedIn Spam

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LinkedIn Spam

I'm now of the opinion that many of my business acquaintances are utterly thick morons. Today alone I've received 3 LinkedIn invites from people I don't know. When I look at their profiles they're so obviously fakes that they're only missing King of Nigeria as a past occupation. If you do a reverse image search on the profile pic you get taken to a stock image website. Yet each one has had at least 5 of my contacts as their contact, i.e. 2nd level contacts, and one of them, of course the one with the prettiest profile pic, has 12 of my contacts as contact status.

Are people really that stupid?

I think I may use it as a form of intelligence test. If someone is listed as a contact of one of these spammers then they're obviously too thick for me to want to do business with and I should drop them from my contacts list.

Have you had an invite from Phillip Mount (Recruitment Consultant) yet?

That one isn't even LinkedIn but a phishing attack... I wonder how many accepted his 'invite'?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Have you had an invite from Phillip Mount (Recruitment Consultant) yet?

That one isn't even LinkedIn but a phishing attack... I wonder how many accepted his 'invite'?
      Yep. Thankfully (said in the right context, honest) a friend fell for that one first and I know that if I get an invite email to just delete it and go to the LinkedIn website to look at the invite properly.

Comment

It's probably going to get worse now that Apple have included this: OS X Mavericks adds single sign-on for LinkedIn

Sachin Rekhi, a group product manager at LinkedIn, detailed other features in his blog post:
        • LinkedIn integration in Shared Links in Safari. Shared Links, which will work right in your Safari browser, makes it easy to keep up with interesting links that your LinkedIn Connections post. It also shows you links shared by LinkedIn Influencers you are following so you can stay up to date with great professional content..
        • LinkedIn integration throughout OS X Mavericks, including:
          • LinkedIn Notifications incorporated directly into Notification Center
          • Ability to “Share to LinkedIn” directly from Safari
          • Update your LinkedIn profile picture directly from the Photo Booth app on your Mac
        I'm glad I jacked the service in. I was getting too much spam from Linkedin without Apple's help.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I employ the same for Linkedin as I do for Facebook and Twitter, if I don't know them I don't add them. I also have my settings s they cannot see anything, with regards to Linkedin they can see my roles but not the companies or connections.

On another note though I have a fake LinkedIn profile I use. Have filled it all out as a recruitment consultant with all the usual bumff and stuff. I use this to view the profiles of the interviewer who is going to interview me for the role. Gives me an idea what they are like, what technical background they have and any common ground I may have that will get me in the door.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            I'm glad I jacked the service in. I was getting too much spam from Linkedin without Apple's help.
            Or you could just not add your LinkedIn account to Mavericks SSO.

In case anybody hasn't seen it yet, avoid LinkedIn's new "Intro" product - it hijacks your email accounts and sends every single email via LinkedIn, so they can insert links before sending it on to the intended recipient

http://www.bishopfox.com/blog/2013/10/linkedin-intro/

Comment

Originally posted by Boney M View Post
              I employ the same for Linkedin as I do for Facebook and Twitter, if I don't know them I don't add them. I also have my settings s they cannot see anything, with regards to Linkedin they can see my roles but not the companies or connections.

On another note though I have a fake LinkedIn profile I use. Have filled it all out as a recruitment consultant with all the usual bumff and stuff. I use this to view the profiles of the interviewer who is going to interview me for the role. Gives me an idea what they are like, what technical background they have and any common ground I may have that will get me in the door.
              Interesting. You can change your settings so that people can't tell you have looked at their profile. So no need to set up phoney account. However you could use the fake profile to entice recruiters to tell you about jobs, and then apply direct!! Masonryan- how about it!?
              "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
              Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by No2politics View Post
                Interesting. You can change your settings so that people can't tell you have looked at their profile. So no need to set up phoney account. However you could use the fake profile to entice recruiters to tell you about jobs, and then apply direct!! Masonryan- how about it!?
                Yes you can set it up so the settings dont show the person who's profile you have looked at in the same vain if you select this option you cannot see who has looked at yours. I find it far useful when looking for my next prospective role who has looked at my profile, which recruiters and possible employers have done.

Comment

Working...
                X