• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The future of Perm/Contract roles in the City

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The future of Perm/Contract roles in the City

I have had some interesting discussions with "colleagues" over the last few days about where London is heading in terms of work.

My willingness to consider a role in London is decreasing year on year and month on month due to the following factors:
    - Property prices in central London beyond unaffordable
    - Property prices in outer London being pushed up by the inner city prices
    - Train ticket prices (Manchester - London) astronomically high and getting ever higher

When once a £500/day role in London seemed relatively attractive, the last year has made the role not even worth considering. When agents call me and ask for my rate expectations for a London role they don't even seem surprised by it and understand that London has become ridiculous.

Even if I was a permie I'd be looking at 80 or 90k roles and think: will that even get me a mortage for a flat in a crappy area in London?

Will the rates have to come up in London or will these roles be shifted out of London and into other parts of the UK or maybe even abroad? Does anybody else outside London view London roles/rates in the same way?

It'd be good if these roles were shifted to outside of London, I know what you're saying though with regards to travel costs and accommodation.
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

I have been approached about permie roles in London and they are usually 80-90k + bonuses.

The actual contract roles that pop up seem to be 500pd +. I think 650 was the highest one I have been approached for recently.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
        I have been approached about permie roles in London and they are usually 80-90k + bonuses.

The actual contract roles that pop up seem to be 500pd +. I think 650 was the highest one I have been approached for recently.
        That's pretty much what I said in my post - do those kind of salaries/rates make London liveable though? My feeling is they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
          That's pretty much what I said in my post - do those kind of salaries/rates make London liveable though? My feeling is they don't.
          You need £100K gross household income for a basic London life.
          To actually live properly, double that figure.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            You need £100K gross household income for a basic London life.
            To actually live properly, double that figure.
            So what does that mean for London in the future? I know a few of my friends are looking to move to my area due to the kind of figures you are quoting - a graduate doctor friend of mine on 60k with a family is struggling day to day.

Comment

Birmingham is the place to be:

TECH WAR: Brummies say firms 'lose out' in London's Tech City
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Oh sorry, your post read to me like you were asking about those sorts of salaries and rates and I was confirming that they were available.

No idea whether it is liveable in London but the contracts rates are fine if you commute in from Hampshire. I would have needed 80k at the bare minimum to commute in for a permie position to cover the train fair etc.

Comment

So what does that mean for London in the future? I know a few of my friends are looking to move to my area due to the kind of figures you are quoting - a graduate doctor friend of mine on 60k with a family is struggling day to day.
                  60k + a family in London?! If he is expecting to live in easy street now he has finished his degree and got a good job he is going to get a shock

Comment

Well, we already had a lot of essential staff (teachers and nurses and so on) leave to be replaced with cheaper foreign imports who will tolerate 3rd world transport and endless queueing for everything. Once the middle classes go that will leave the rich people, their staff, and the feral underclasses.

I intend to do one before then, for although I was born feral I'd like to think I've become gentrified following my uni education and extensive shagging of posh birds.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X