• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Complete Newbie - Took on contract work without company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complete Newbie - Took on contract work without company

Hi all,

I am a Software Engineer and was unemployed back in January 2013 when, out of the blue, I had an offer for some programming contract work from a large-ish company based mainly in the US. They needed the work to be done fairly urgently, so I blundered in straight away. I had never done or thought about contracting before then.

They are apparently well-versed in taking on contractors from Europe, and have a Denmark-based office for dealing with this. The contract had an "Entity Type" for me, which, since I had no company of my own, was marked as "[X] Individual". The contract lasted from February 2013 to June 2013. Payment was made via BACS into my personal Natwest current account.

Now I want to declare my earnings to the government, but it seems that I should have formed a Limited Liability Company and done things through that. Since I foolishly didn't do any of that, I have no idea what I should do now.

Any advice on how to proceed with this would be much appreciated

Register as self-employed and do a tax return based on that.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Speak to an accountant.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
        Register as self-employed and do a tax return based on that.
        Hi,

Thanks for the response; I see on the online Self-Assessment form that if I choose "Yes" to "Were you self-employed?", I get a prompt for "How many self-employed businesses did you have?" where you must enter at least "1", and give a name for the business. The "help" popup for the "Business 1 name:" says "Please enter your business name. This could be your own name or it could be a trading business name." Is it really as simple as just entering my own name, here?

Comment

Originally posted by Carlos76 View Post
          Hi,

Thanks for the response; I see on the online Self-Assessment form that if I choose "Yes" to "Were you self-employed?", I get a prompt for "How many self-employed businesses did you have?" where you must enter at least "1", and give a name for the business. The "help" popup for the "Business 1 name:" says "Please enter your business name. This could be your own name or it could be a trading business name." Is it really as simple as just entering my own name, here?
          You are going to need an accountant if you are going to continue contracting so you can kill two birds with one stone here..... Get this wrong and it will cost you a lot more than the cost of the accountant.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Carlos76 View Post
            Is it really as simple as just entering my own name, here?
            Probably - most of us here have LTD companies so I don't know. As self employed you will pay a lot more tax than you need to and there are other problems like professional liability if anything goes wrong.

Take the advice and arrange for a consultation with an accountant. They can figure out how to operate going forward (eg, LTD company) and perhaps make some fairly substantial tax savings.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
              As self employed you will pay a lot more tax than you need to
              I doubt that unless you step into top rate tax.

NI is pretty nominal for self employed IIRC

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                I doubt that unless you step into top rate tax.

NI is pretty nominal for self employed IIRC
                Hmmm, had to look that one up. Turns out that it's a a lot less than via an umbrella but still a fair amount.

Class 4 National Insurance - how much you pay

The amount of Class 4 National Insurance contributions you have to pay for any tax year is based on your profits for that year. You pay 9 per cent on annual profits between £7,755 and £41,450 (2013-14) and 2 per cent on any profit over that amount.

So that's about ~£3,000 per year on profits of £~40,000. Definitely worth incorporating.
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                  Hmmm, had to look that one up. Turns out that it's a a lot less than via an umbrella but still a fair amount.

Class 4 National Insurance - how much you pay

The amount of Class 4 National Insurance contributions you have to pay for any tax year is based on your profits for that year. You pay 9 per cent on annual profits between £7,755 and £41,450 (2013-14) and 2 per cent on any profit over that amount.

So that's about ~£3,000 per year on profits of £~40,000. Definitely worth incorporating.
                  Less £1000-£1500 for accountancy fees. Definitely worth considering incorporating.

Yes you have the protection of limited liability, but also the responsibility of directorship and your personal details and company accounts are public.

To the OP, you need to:

a) tell HMRC that you are (or have been) self employed. Strictly you should have already done this.

b) do separate Self Assessment Returns for both 2012-13 & 2013-14, due by 31/1/14 & 31/1/15 respectively.

You can get an accountant to help you with the SARs (for around £150-£250 at a guess). Even if you get someone to prepare and submit the SAR for you it would be worth downloading the paper version and having a crack at filling it in yourself just to see what you need to bring together - P45/P60 from your ex-employer, bank interest, investments, rental income, pension contributions, charity contributions, etc. and any business expenses incurred for the self-employment.

Comment

Many thanks to everyone for the responses - I'm definitely in over my head, here, so an accountant seems like a wise investment. What do people usually do to decide on one - do a search for local offices; get recommendations from friends ... ?

I registered for Self Assessment and did a quick run through of the online form (but didn't submit), and I only earned ~£5000 in 2012/2013 so I apparently didn't have to pay anything, but will do this again with an accountant when I actually come to submit. I don't have any other income except for interest payments, and no outgoings that I can claim for.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                    X