• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buggeridge On Friday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buggeridge On Friday

A sign of the times and it was inevitable that this was going to happen but it has been brought to my attention that the views across the rolling Somerset countryside that I've always enjoyed from Buggeridge Towers are under threat from a proposal to build a giant wind turbine.

So last night saw me trudging up to the village hall, pitchfork in hand, with an assortment of ruddy faced, tub thumping locals to give the developers what-for at the public consultation.

And what-for we gave them too and it was only once all the shouting was over that I noticed that there was a pro-turbine contingent in our midst - a rather motley collection of green agit-proppers drafted in from their narrowboats on the Kennet and Avon Canal. We do have local greenies but they were conspicuous by their absence (yes, I'm looking at you Kevin McCloud). Also conspicuous by his absence was the farmer who stands to rake in £80k a year from having this monstrosity towering over the surrounding countryside from one of his fields.

Anyhow, they mouthed the normal stock platitudes about how our house prices won't be affected and how turbines don't really chomp the local avian wildlife. One of them even said the thing that always gets said in one of these debates - "I am in awe of what a highly engineered, graceful thing a wind turbine is" (or words to that effect) and then basked in the glow of the self satisfied smugness that consumes somebody after having proclaimed their veneration of Nelson Mandela or Aung San Suu Kyi.

But what really annoyed me was the pronouncement by one of them that "all communities have a responsibility to contribute towards the generation of renewable sources of energy". In that case I ain't getting off my soap box until there's a wind turbine on Hampstead heath. I'm sure there's plenty of wind up there and not just that of the hot variety generated by the inhabitants of the enclaves below.

Wasn't there some other sockie related poster asking how they could demonstrate the impact of a large structure on the local landscape?

Consistency please!

Comment

This is the dullest sockie after Gricer.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        This is Gricer.
        Too many words, FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          This is the dullest sockie after Gricer.
          Name a better sockie then. I remember when CUK had decent sockies. Them was the days.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Name a better sockie then. I remember when CUK had decent sockies. Them was the days.
            There's a good sockie at the moment who goes around f***ing up contracts left, right and centre, and then comes on here to tell everyone how amazing he is, and how the clients don't appreciate him.

Oh, hi Suity

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
              There's a good sockie at the moment who goes around f***ing up contracts left, right and centre, and then comes on here to tell everyone how amazing he is, and how the clients don't appreciate him.

Oh, hi Suity
              Hats off to the script writers.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Hi Malc! We've discussed this many times on here; some like them and some don't.

I don't have any of these near me, and as far as I know nor are there any plans to install them. This is probably because I live not a million miles from Chequers and undoubtably close to the large piles of many other movers and shakers, of all political hues.

However, I stand four-square behind you. Your back yard is my back yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Hi Malc! We've discussed this many times on here; some like them and some don't.

I don't have any of these near me, and as far as I know nor are there any plans to install them. This is probably because I live not a million miles from Chequers and undoubtably close to the large piles of many other movers and shakers, of all political hues.

However, I stand four-square behind you. Your back yard is my back yard.
                  Hi DS

You're welcome in my backyard any time.

Meanwhile, I notice the storm hasn't even made landfall yet and already one of the spinning monsters is down:

Comment

Excellent MB rambles as usual. Is there a hidden meaning in these backyard references?

Beats me why they don't put these damn things where it doesn't matter, next to motorways etc. Or maybe make them look better, isn't it odd how everyone would love to live near a historic windmill but not a wind turbine?
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X