• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clocks go back... charge for the hour?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clocks go back... charge for the hour?

Hi guys,

I'm contracting night shifts this weekend and of course the clocks go back which means I work 10 hours instead of 9.
    Should I charge for 10 hours or the standard 9 for that evening? I have a good relationship with my clients, is it too cheeky for twenty quid?

Gordon

Try it and see what happens. I would have thought it would be fine.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

If you are paid by the hour, then bill by the hour and charge it.

If you aren't, then don't.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordonctr View Post
        Hi guys,

I'm contracting night shifts this weekend and of course the clocks go back which means I work 10 hours instead of 9.
        Should I charge for 10 hours or the standard 9 for that evening? I have a good relationship with my clients, is it too cheeky for twenty quid?

Gordon
        Check whether they want you to do a 10 your shift (e.g. until 6 a.m. GMT) or a 9 hour shift (e.g. until 6 a.m. BST / 5 a.m. GMT) and bill accordingly if on an hourly rate.

Comment

How can people call themselves a contractor and run a small business when they can't deal with issues like this?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No idea northernlad, no idea

Cheers guys, I'm putting it down

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              How can people call themselves a contractor and run a small business when they can't deal with issues like this?
              Maybe because they don't need to get over themselves and stop being an obnoxious tit.

It was a perfectly reasonable thing for a relatively inexperienced or first time contractor to ask if they've not come across the scenario and wanted opinions on how this sort of thing can be viewed.

To the OP:-
              I've not charged hourly rates in a fair few years, but it's a reasonable question to check with the client since the shift does gain an extra hour in a way you can do nothing about. Ask politely in a way that tends to encourage the answer yes when you point out the number of billable hours is one more than usual on that occasion.

Comment

Cheers guys, I'm putting it down
                Does that mean you are going to put down 1 hour less when the clocks go forward?

Seriously though, if you are on an hourly rate then you just charge for how many hours actually worked. If it's a daily rate then you just charge per day (or night as the case may be)
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Hi guys,

Gordon
                  What did you do when the clocks went forward by one hour, from GMT to BST?
                  Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
                    What did you do when the clocks went forward by one hour, from GMT to BST?
                    Posted on here asking whether to charge for the missing hour or not to

Comment

Working...
                    X