• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Morning' mouse potatoes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning' mouse potatoes

Some wicked ones in here:
    BBC News - The joy of slang

There are some really nice ones in the article, mouse potato (for those who spend too much time on PCs) and wi-five (an electronically delivered high-five) gave me a giggle.

I like some of the older ones as well. I still say "Gordon Bennett" a lot, my mum told me the other day that I started saying it when I was four or five, she doesn't know where it came from.

Any of you lot still use any old quaint sayings? Or are you street enough to know what chirpsing and bennin are?

<creeps off to play IRL... >
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      There is a real life?
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        There is a real life?
        I think it's what the under 25's have. It was some time around then that it all started to go pear-shaped. Or maybe it was just a co-incidence that I got my first 56K modem at that point...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
            I like some of the older ones as well. I still say "Gordon Bennett" a lot, my mum told me the other day that I started saying it when I was four or five, she doesn't know where it came from.

Any of you lot still use any old quaint sayings? Or are you street enough to know what chirpsing and bennin are?
            I say Gordon Bennett sometimes. ISTR reading somewhere that he was an American journalist in the early 20th century, and notorious for his occasionally erratic behaviour and in particular for driving like a maniac.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              I say Gordon Bennett sometimes. ISTR reading somewhere that he was an American journalist in the early 20th century, and notorious for his occasionally erratic behaviour and in particular for driving like a maniac.
              Yep, me too. We must getting on!!! Wasn't there an Isle of Man Gordon Bennett TT race? I also say jammy and cor blimey still...
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Gordon Bennett came from this chap:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gordon_Bennett,_Jr.

He was a pilot, who would dive bomb people on the ground, who would exclaim "there goes Gordon Bennett" with surprise
                Shortened to "Gordon Bennett!"

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                  Some wicked ones in here:
                  BBC News - The joy of slang

There are some really nice ones in the article, mouse potato (for those who spend too much time on PCs) and wi-five (an electronically delivered high-five) gave me a giggle.

I often use this at work. Urban Dictionary: cuntractor

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    I often use this at work. Urban Dictionary: cuntractor
                    You shouldn't refer to yourself so harshly. Fair enough that people think it, but to realise their observations is quite uncalled for.

Comment

Working...
                    X