• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

German Christmas Markets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Christmas Markets

I'm thinking about a weekend in Germany to visit a Christmas market.

Has anyone done this, and which do you recommend, or is the whole experience more hassle than it's worth?

Relevant:

I'd be going with 20yo shopaholic daughter.
    I don't much like shopping - I'm looking for a bit of festive spirit. I don't necessarily want a huge market, but a nice one with hand made goods etc.
    Would probably travel Fri-Mon or possibly Fri-Sun - fly or train depending on where we go.

Currently thinking maybe Hannover/Hamelin - fly out to Hanover on Friday, train to Hamelin Saturday, back to Hannover for Saturday night, Hannover market(s) Sunday and home Monday.

German Christmas Markets - 2013 Christmas Market Dates & Locations - German Christmas Fairs & Xmas Markets

Would be good to hear about others' experiences.

Took the Eurostar to Bruges to do this one year

Lots of quality/wooden decorations, not so much in the way of gifty things (Amazon), Bruges is a truly lovely town, great atmosphere, Belgian beers, gluhwein, Eurostar much more civilised than air travel imho. What's not to like...

Actually I may have just talked myself into going again (c:

Comment

My mum came over for the Munich one and went mad. It's pretty good, if you like that sort of thing, lots of hand made wooden Christmas tat, and an ice rink. There are some decent shops in town, a medieval style market and stuff like that as well. Haven't been to any of the others so can't compare, but worth a visit I'd say, and Munich has the best beer and pork as well...
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
        Took the Eurostar to Bruges to do this one year

Lots of quality/wooden decorations, not so much in the way of gifty things (Amazon), Bruges is a truly lovely town, great atmosphere, Belgian beers, gluhwein, Eurostar much more civilised than air travel imho. What's not to like...

Actually I may have just talked myself into going again (c:
        Sounds nice - and Bruges is lovely - but I think daughter wants Germany!

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          My mum came over for the Munich one and went mad. It's pretty good, if you like that sort of thing, lots of hand made wooden Christmas tat, and an ice rink. There are some decent shops in town, a medieval style market and stuff like that as well. Haven't been to any of the others so can't compare, but worth a visit I'd say, and Munich has the best beer and pork as well...
          Sounds lovely, and haven't been to Munich. Beer and pork sound good - although daughter is veggie!

Comment

Hamburger Dom was good at Xmas when I was there...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Hamburger Dom was good at Xmas when I was there...
              The Hamburg one isn't bad IMHO although it's the only one I've been to.

It's best if the Alster freezes enough for them to open it up to the public.

Comment

There is a big one in Birmingham every year - I think it's the biggest German Xmas market in UK.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Sounds lovely, and haven't been to Munich. Beer and pork sound good - although daughter is veggie!
                  If you're flying the quantity of tat you acquire will effect the cost of the return trip, not like 2 women travel light to start with and a shopaholic daughter could result in it being cheaper to just buy a plane!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    There is a big one in Birmingham every year - I think it's the biggest German Xmas market in UK.
                    Yep - she lives in Brum - would certainly be cheaper, but perhaps not quite so atmospheric!

Comment

Working...
                    X