• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

laptop rebooted without BSOD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

laptop rebooted without BSOD

I've never had this before - I was typing "face" in chrome (intending to add "book" on the end) and screen went black then started booting up.

Seems it happened so quick not even events.log shows anything untoward, without a BSOD I'm left wondering what has gone wrong. PC doctor reports all ok with hardware and memory.

Laptop is more than 5 years old - time to get a new one methinks - when I am off the bench!
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Power glitch (loose battery maybe...) or thermal cutout? Have you tried hoovering / air blasting the fan?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
      I've never had this before - I was typing "face" in chrome (intending to add "book" on the end) and screen went black then started booting up.

Seems it happened so quick not even events.log shows anything untoward, without a BSOD I'm left wondering what has gone wrong. PC doctor reports all ok with hardware and memory.

Laptop is more than 5 years old - time to get a new one methinks - when I am off the bench!
      Perhaps the laptop is fine and you just had a petty mal.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Power glitch (loose battery maybe...) or thermal cutout? Have you tried hoovering / air blasting the fan?
        hoover yes good idea, thanks!

Comment

Are you sure you didn't type Google into Google? Trust me, I'm the Head of IT, it's not a laughing matter!
          <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

This laptop I had used to do that. I remember somewhere there being a windows setting to hide BSOD and just restart. I had to disable it to find the error codes.

A look in event manager should sort you out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
              This laptop I had used to do that. I remember somewhere there being a windows setting to hide BSOD and just restart. I had to disable it to find the error codes.

A look in event manager should sort you out.
              As I said event manager didn't have anything untoward in it. Gave the laptop a hoover - its been fine since.

Comment

Working...
              X