• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contract signed, but client dithering on the start date

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contract signed, but client dithering on the start date

I have a six-month contract with a large German company that I got through an agency, due to start on Friday. The agency sent me the contract signed by themselves, including a start date of Nov 1. There's an option for both sides to cancel in the first four weeks.

The problem is that no sooner had I signed the contract and sent it back than the agency told me that the client has changed their minds and wants me to start on Nov 6. They have forwarded me an email from the client, saying that they have a large production rollout on Nov 1, and so it's difficult to bring me in on that date.

It could be entirely innocent, but I'm quite disturbed that they are messing with the contract terms so early. What happens if they come back to me on Nov 6 and say, sorry, we're still having problems with our production rollout (as always)... could you start next week instead? And so on, week by week. In the meantime, it is difficult for me to hunt for other contracts because I'm committed to this one client in writing. And I thought they were committed to me.

What would you do? The recruiter has included an email from the client, so I have the option of contacting the client directly, but I have to be careful what I say.
    Der going over der to get der der's.

At this stage it's only a short delay so rather than piss the client off before you've even arrived on site I'd be inclined to live with it, especially as the reason provided sounds reasonable.

BTW you mention it's a German company. Will you be working in Germany, and if so have you read the umpteen threads on the hassles/rules for dealing with the German tax authorities and the impact of getting it wrong?

Comment

Keep looking. If there is a definite option of something you want to do which has an earlier start date, then take it.

Tell the agency that you are disappointed that the start has been delayed, that you completely understand the position the client is in, but that just in case there are further delays (or anything which happens during the production roll out which may put your role at risk), you will continue to be open to other opportunities.

If you have to bail on this one, you can at least explain where the "blame" lies, and if absolutely necessary point to the MOO clause and reject the work.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

I would say this is just part and parcel of contracting but I know it happens to permies as well. Don't stop applying for gigs until you are sat at your desk at the clients on the first day.

A quick search shows this is a pretty common event....

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=st...sm=93&ie=UTF-8
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The client has asked to change the start date, but they have not demanded it as of now. So what I am going to do is email the guy directly and ask if I could come in on Nov 1 and just study the documentation and not get in the way, and work on my own laptop if necessary.

It's not an ideal situation but I'm keen to get this nailed down. I don't like a start date that keeps shifting. It can turn a written contract into nonsense. Worst-case scenario: they are setting me up as a backup candidate. Sounds paranoid, but I've seen a lot in my time.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenb View Post
            The client has asked to change the start date, but they have not demanded it as of now. So what I am going to do is email the guy directly and ask if I could come in on Nov 1 and just study the documentation and not get in the way, and work on my own laptop if necessary.

It's not an ideal situation but I'm keen to get this nailed down. I don't like a start date that keeps shifting. It can turn a written contract into nonsense. Worst-case scenario: they are setting me up as a backup candidate. Sounds paranoid, but I've seen a lot in my time.
            What exactly are you gaining from this? You are not expecting to bill them for this are you?

Comment

People can ask things before they demand them.

So if you start being a pain they will demand it of you.

Oh and it's often the agency who has screwed up not the client.

Agents work on getting you on-site as soon as possible there as the client can wait a while.

So the best thing is to talk to the client, make noises indicating you really want to work for them and ask when they want you to start as there is a date mix up.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I think what happened is that basically the agent gave me a fake start date, signed up to it, got me to sign it, and is now manouevering to get me to try to persuade the client to honour it. In the process, creating a conflict between myself and the client, and potentially jeopardizing the whole contract.

Recruiters: utter scumbags.
                Last edited by darrenb; 28 October 2013, 19:51.

Comment

I think what happened is that basically the agent gave me a fake start date, signed up to it, got me to sign it, and is now manouevering to get me to try to persuade the client to honour it. In the process, creating a conflict between myself and the client, and potentially jeopardizing the whole contract.

Recruiters: utter scumbags.
                  Hmmm, there are also a ton of genuine reasons for delayed starts to consider as well you know. Just play the agent at his own game. You shouldn't have stopped looking until you were sitting at your desk so nothing lost really. Keep applying, if it happens it happens, if it doesn't you haven't lost anything cause you are still looking for work.

Comment

I would tell them you're ready to start as soon as they are. In the meantime I would be looking for other stuff in case it falls through or something better comes along.

Comment

Working...
                    X