• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Budgeting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budgeting

Hi all, when buying a property would you:
    (a) chuck in most of your savings, get a lower rate and slash monthly payment a bit
    (b) keep a bit for a rainy day

If I told you this is for a flat with a north-facing balcony and rooms that are not rectangular?

Tks.

Originally posted by mickey View Post
    (a) chuck in most of your savings, get a lower rate and slash monthly payment a bit
    (b) - always, and if you are really good have (c) and (d).

Comment

If I told you this is for a flat with a north-facing balcony and rooms that are not rectangular?

Tks.
      I wouldn't buy a flat with a north facing balcony - simply because North facing is very cold for most of the year.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

A mortgage is the cheapest way to borrow money. If you get a good discounted rate you could be looking at around 3%. Find something that out performs that and stick it in that. If you need it it's there, if you don't it's making more money than the interest payments anyway. Have to be disciplined if the aim is to pay off your mortgage with it in the long run though, don't just spend the interest. Personally I wouldn't also gamble it in shares etc. Find something fairly safe so you know full well the amount you put in will always be there with a rate at least the mortgage income. If you are talking a decent wage spare then get a BTL. Right property could easily get you ROI's of up to 10%+

If you are interesting in BTL's have a look at the spreadsheet at the site below. Be pragmatic with the numbers though, don't just stick ridiculously high forecasts in because it looks attractive.

Buy To Let

If it isn't that big think of something else. I don't have a clue what ISA's are doing nowadays but there is the crowd funding things or whatever.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          A mortgage is the cheapest way to borrow money. If you get a good discounted rate you could be looking at around 3%. Find something that out performs that and stick it in that. If you need it it's there, if you don't it's making more money than the interest payments anyway. Have to be disciplined if the aim is to pay off your mortgage with it in the long run though, don't just spend the interest. Personally I wouldn't also gamble it in shares etc. Find something fairly safe so you know full well the amount you put in will always be there with a rate at least the mortgage income.
          So what 'safe' investment returns >= 3%?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Disagree with the yield calculator. The service charge on flats eats up a lot of potential yield.

Comment

Disagree with the yield calculator. The service charge on flats eats up a lot of potential yield.
              I know vendors/buyers normally go by a number of bedrooms, while the agents go by a £ per square foot. What would you say is a sane price for a sq ft of indoor space in London?

Comment

What would you say is a sane price for a sq ft of indoor space in London?
                About half of what it currently costs.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Tks.
                  Get an overdraft account for the mortgage, like Virgin One Account.

You can use it exactly like a bank account with a low-interest overdraft. You stick your cash savings in there to get the repayments down, but always have the option of spending it any time if you need to.

Note that the interest repayments you save doing this will always be higher than the return you'll get in a cash savings account, so it's a no-brainer really.

Does the north-facing balcony overlook anything interesting?
                  Last edited by Doggy Styles; 30 October 2013, 10:23.

Comment

Erm, there is a line for Annual Expenses which you would put the charges in. Service charges do indeed eat up a lot of it so maybe there is a lesson there?

I had a flat on BTL and never again. The service charge did eat in to it plus lots of arguments with the management company about upkeep over the years. I wouldn't get a flat again. I am in the NW so different options to London of course.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X