• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If I hadn't gone to private school...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I hadn't gone to private school...

Private schools are blocking social mobility - Telegraph

Their education is so good that it is stopping downward mobility of the dim and indolent

Just imagine; I'm a tester. I wonder, if my downward mobility hadn't been blocked, where would I be now?

- burger flipper?
    - manual labourer?
    - recruitment consultant?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Hhhmm, I went to private boarding school > left at 16, rampaged about a bit, started working properly at around 25.....16yrs later and here I am as a contratooooorrrrr
    Not sure what my mobility is, or how affected by schooling.....all seems so long ago now!
    latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Private schools are blocking social mobility - Telegraph

Just imagine; I'm a tester. I wonder, if my downward mobility hadn't been blocked, where would I be now?

- burger flipper?
      - manual labourer?
      - recruitment consultant?
      I thought you become a tester by failing all your exams anyway?
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        I thought you become a tester by failing all your exams anyway?
        Not all of them.

Comment

I am sat opposite a permie guy in his 40's who went to a v expensive college; cant tell his ar$e from his elbow his inability to make a decision nearly leaves him in tears and he is desperate to be a contractor but has no skill set.

I ama decade younger, came from a northern council estate and yesterday I helped him finish his piece of work - and he still didnt get it.

Surrounded by folks like this - but what can you do? Plonkers hiring plonkers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
            I am sat opposite a permie guy in his 40's who went to a v expensive college; cant tell his ar$e from his elbow his inability to make a decision nearly leaves him in tears and he is desperate to be a contractor but has no skill set.

I ama decade younger, came from a northern council estate and yesterday I helped him finish his piece of work - and he still didnt get it.

Surrounded by folks like this - but what can you do? Plonkers hiring plonkers.
            He obviously didn't learn the most important thing at "v expensive college''; if you don't have a clue what to do then take a decision. Better to fook it up early and correct it than to dither, waste time and fook it all up when it's too late to clear up the mess.*

*Disclaimer; this advice does not apply to bomb disposal technicians.

Comment

Better to fook it up early and correct it than to dither, waste time and fook it all up when it's too late to clear up the mess.*
              is a good description of the project I am on - am surrounded by them we are currently in the 'waste time' phase

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                is a good description of the project I am on - am surrounded by them we are currently in the 'waste time' phase
                See, that is one thing I took from expensive (wasted!) education.....very good at wasting time
                latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
                  See, that is one thing I took from expensive (wasted!) education.....very good at wasting time
                  They didn't teach me much, but I did learn how to blag it.

Comment

Better to fook it up early and correct it than to dither, waste time and fook it all up when it's too late to clear up the mess.*
                    Ah. AGILE.

Comment

Working...
                    X