• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Terrifying news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrifying news

'Soul' pictured leaving tree damaged in St Jude storm

A woman thinks she may have taken photos of a tree's soul.

I am therefore wondering if the orange mist was the soul of the tree, which disappeared as the tree was dying.
    The scary bit is this

Ms Johnson, 37, is a science and maths teacher in a secondary school.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

good job it wasn't a private school.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Why would having A-levels in maths and science make believing in the supernatural more scary? It's hardly like that gives you a grounding in the fundamentals of science.

Or were you simply following the angle "what are they teaching the children"?

I know tons of well-educated people who believe in such things and I don't only mean churchy people... at the wife's primary school she doesn't like it that several teachers visit mediums and so on on a regular basis. These are people very good at their job (based on the school being used as an example in the region).

Then I know first hand a professor of astrophysics, a professor of pure mathematics and senior lecturer in chemistry who are all what most would call "fundamentalist born-aagain christians"... they are well-regarded in their fields but all believe in miracles, speaking in tongues and all that jazz. Atheists like to claim that believing these things is incompatible with being well educated and smart, but clearly they aren't.

I don't mean to claim this supports what I believe, only to highlight that the two are pretty much orthogonal. If someone who has spent decades working on the mathematics describing how the universe works doesn't see a contradiction with the supernatural, then perhaps there isn't one (irrelevant if the supernatural does actually exist, I'm talking only in theory here).
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The human brain is very good at compartmentalising. There are some quite bright, well educated people who believe some truly stupid things (not just in gods but various superstitions).

Some people in my wife's family are well read and intelligent but are still creationalists. A girl I know from school recommended a 'faith healer' to me who said she could diagnose and cure me by looking at a picture of me. It turns out that she was just a cold reader and not a very good one, when I just gave her yes and no answers (she started far to specific) she got nowhere fast. Oddly my bad elbow is still not healed.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Why would having A-levels in maths and science make believing in the supernatural more scary? It's hardly like that gives you a grounding in the fundamentals of science.

Or were you simply following the angle "what are they teaching the children"?
          It's more that I would expect a science teacher to seek slightly more rational explanations for an unexplained phenomenon. What does she say if a child asks her a question about some phenomenon about which she is unaware but which is otherwise well documented and explained?
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            It's more that I would expect a science teacher to seek slightly more rational explanations for an unexplained phenomenon. What does she say if a child asks her a question about some phenomenon about which she is unaware but which is otherwise well documented and explained?
            Fair point. I think there's a difference between believing IN the supernatural, and jumping to the conclusion ANY odd occurrence IS supernatural as a matter of course.

I believe miracles can and do happen, but I'm also bloody cynical and it annoys me when people look to find the miraculous in everyday events.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Fair point. I think there's a difference between believing IN the supernatural, and jumping to the conclusion ANY odd occurrence IS supernatural as a matter of course.

I believe miracles can and do happen, but I'm also bloody cynical and it annoys me when people look to find the miraculous in everyday events.
              Haha - was going to ask about Jesus face on toast, but got as far as googling "Jesus face on " - there's some much more interesting (and convincing!) results out there! Try it

Comment

The scary bit is this
                Imagine if she saw one of your more explosive dumps.

Comment

The scary bit is this
                  She should be fired. WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Haha - was going to ask about Jesus face on toast, but got as far as googling "Jesus face on " - there's some much more interesting (and convincing!) results out there! Try it
                    You clicked on "dog's bum" didn't you?

Comment

Working...
                    X