• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Third gender

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third gender

For years I thought this was gingers. It turns out not.

Germany has become Europe's first country to allow babies with characteristics of both sexes to be registered as neither male nor female.

Parents are now allowed to leave the gender blank on birth certificates, in effect creating a new category of "indeterminate sex".
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    For years I thought this was gingers. It turns out not.
    Technically that's a third sex, not a third gender - sex is biological (so if a man has gender reassignment surgery, on a hospital system she will have a sex of male (can't change the chromosomes) and a gender of female.

New babies are occasionally registered on hospital systems as indeterminate sex. And some adults identify themselves as Intersex.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Technically that's a third sex, not a third gender - sex is biological (so if a man has gender reassignment surgery, on a hospital system she will have a sex of male (can't change the chromosomes) and a gender of female.

New babies are occasionally registered on hospital systems as indeterminate sex. And some adults identify themselves as Intersex.
      Where? Not in europe apparently.

Comment

Where? Not in europe apparently.
        In the UK, but I was talking about registering a baby as a patient on a hospital system, not registering a birth.

Comment

Hospital systems also have a fourth sex of unknown.

Comment

There are loads of them now !

Identities that fall under the Nonbinary umbrella include, but are not limited to:

Agender aka Genderless, Non-gender - Having no gender identity or no gender to express (Similar and sometimes used interchangeably with Gender Neutral)
            Androgyne aka Androgynous gender - Identifying or presenting between the binary options of man and woman or masculine and feminine (Similar and sometimes used interchangeably with Intergender)
            Bigender aka Bi-gender - Having two gender identities or expressions, either simultaneously, at different times or in different situations
            Fluid Gender aka Genderfluid, Pangender, Polygender - Moving between two or more different gender identities or expressions at different times or in different situations
            Gender Neutral aka Neutral Gender - Having a neutral gender identity or expression, or identifying with the preference for gender neutral language and pronouns
            Genderqueer aka Gender Queer - Non-normative gender identity or expression (often used as an umbrella term with similar scope to Nonbinary)
            Intergender aka Intergendered - Having a gender identity or expression that falls between the two binary options of man and woman or masculine and feminine
            Neutrois - Belonging to a non-gendered or neutral gendered class, usually but not always used to indicate the desire to hide or remove gender cues
            Nonbinary aka Non-binary - Identifying with the umbrella term covering all people with gender outside of the binary, without defining oneself more specifically
            Nonbinary Butch - Holding a nonbinary gender identity and a butch gender expression, or claiming Butch as an identity outside of the gender binary
            Nonbinary Femme - Holding a nonbinary gender identity and a femme gender expression, or claiming Femme as an identity outside of the gender binary
            Third Gender aka Othergender - Having a gender identity or expression that is not defined in terms of the two binary options (male/female, masculine/feminine) but entirely on its own terms
            Transgender - Identifying with the umbrella term covering all gender identities or expressions that transgress or transcend (go beyond the limits of) society’s rules and concepts of gender (Transgender is a wide umbrella term also covering people who hold binary gender identities and expressions but who transgress gender by transitioning between the binary genders).
            Notice that article says "include, but are not limited to". So if designing a personal data form for a right-on, bang up to date app these days, one should allow for at least 256 possible gender values
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              There are loads of them now !

Notice that article says "include, but are not limited to". So if designing a personal data form for a right-on, bang up to date app these days, one should allow for at least 256 possible gender values
              There are gender identities, though, not biological sex which is what the original post is about (ignoring the thread title).

Comment

There are gender identities, though, not biological sex which is what the original post is about (ignoring the thread title).
                Thread title taken from article title on the beeb.

HTH

Comment

Thread title taken from article title on the beeb.

HTH
                  They're still incorrect - in healthcare terms at least. Maybe the terms are used differently in other settings.

Comment

Hospital systems also have a fourth sex of unknown.
                    In the LGBT* world, 3rd (and even 4th) gender are seen as legitimate, my understanding is physiological and psychological gender are decoupled in this school of thinking. Although I lean on the "it's not a new gender, they're just weird" side of the argument, it's pretty interesting.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X