• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wierd phone connection

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wierd phone connection

Twice recently my phone has rung, I picked it up and it was my father in law but he says he didn't ring, he just answered his own phone that was ringing. He's 90 but not senile.

Is there some weird fault in his/my phone that could cause that?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Could it be you originally asked for a conventional "wired" phone connection, but some muppet at BT misspelled that as "weird" connection, and the engineers have just set it up how they think you want?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

It's just aliens checking to see when you're at home. They can't abduct you for anal probing if you're out.

Nothing to worry about.

Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Seriously, didn't someone here recently mention a sort of supervisory facility BT now provide whereby old timers' phones can be linked to another designated phone to keep tabs on them? Maybe someone (his carer?) has requested that for your father in law.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Technically you can do a ringback, where the phone provider will ring you both when the other party stops being engaged. So in theory their software could have a bug - if you report the exact time and both phone numbers to your provider, they could perhaps check their logs what they think happened in terms of who called who?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Cheers. Talked to my bro in law and he thinks maybe the old chap got a cold call when not wearing his glasses and hit the speed dial button. Sounds most likely.

Next question. Will be going to see the old bloke this week, always difficult talking to an ancient in law who is nearly deaf. As he has short term memory loss I thought I might get away with saying the same thing over and over but does it need to be 1min long, 5mins or what?
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Cheers. Talked to my bro in law and he thinks maybe the old chap got a cold call when not wearing his glasses and hit the speed dial button. Sounds most likely.

Next question. Will be going to see the old bloke this week, always difficult talking to an ancient in law who is nearly deaf. As he has short term memory loss I thought I might get away with saying the same thing over and over but does it need to be 1min long, 5mins or what?
              Many years ago I had a job visiting housebound elderly people, just chatting, making sure they were OK, and reporting back to a supervisor at Age Concern about any problems. In my experience, you're more likely to have to listen to the same thing over and over again, rather than having to worry about saying anything yourself

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Many years ago I had a job visiting housebound elderly people, just chatting, making sure they were OK, and reporting back to a supervisor at Age Concern about any problems. In my experience, you're more likely to have to listen to the same thing over and over again, rather than having to worry about saying anything yourself
                That's lovely, all your own teeth you say!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

How about we hook him up with my mum? They can not hear each other and repeat themselves to their hearts contents.

Took her for a memory test the other day - she passed with flying colours. The irony being that she didn't remember doing the same memory test under a different doctor a few months ago (which she also scored full marks on).

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
                    That's lovely, all your own teeth you say!
                    I used to visit a 91-year-old chap who'd been in the Royal Flying Corps during the First World War! Sadly, he tended to talk a lot more about his later career at a local engineering firm

Comment

Working...
                    X