• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would we do without document templates?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would we do without document templates?

There's a chappy here called a "Quality and Process Manager" who spends his days making and maintaining all sorts of document templates. There is a template for almost everything except e-mails, but now he is working to correct this; he is creating a standard e-mail template for all internal e-mails and another one for all external e-mails.

Now believe it or not, I went to school, and I think I'm capable of writing a document that includes title, author, date and introduction and even some content. I'd give myself a 7/10 for this particular skill; I'm not a budding Shakespeare and from time to time I might make some grammatical errors, but I think that on the whole I can make documents that are reasonably useful and presentable.

Given that I'm working with other people who've been to school, I'm a bit skeptical about the need for these templates which force the user to spend hours filling in all sorts of mandatory paragraphs and headers and sub-headers, and I remember a time when documents were made without the use of templates. Maybe I'm just an , but I wonder; do you consider yourself capable of writing documents from scratch?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

I just stick everything on my LtdCo's template which may or may not have been recycled from work presented to old Clients
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

Given that I'm working with other people who've been to school, I'm a bit skeptical about the need for these templates which force the user to spend hours filling in all sorts of mandatory paragraphs and headers and sub-headers, and I remember a time when documents were made without the use of templates. Maybe I'm just an , but I wonder; do you consider yourself capable of writing documents from scratch?
      You would be surprised. I think many people turn their brain off at the door.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Templates have their place, I use many of them – admittedly these tend to be contractual & actual contracts, but for emails & the like I want to say over kill & decry the nanny state but having seen some of the emails sent from site I can see a need, as ever its working to the lowest common denominator
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

If the client follows a methodology, then you would expect the documentation to be in a common format.

Nearly all the clients I've worked with have followed Oracle's AIM standard - and even those that use their own formats still refer to the documents with the same names.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            do you consider yourself capable of writing documents from scratch?
            Yes, and sometimes they are so good I get asked to turn them into templates. This has resulted in me trying less hard.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
              Templates have their place, I use many of them – admittedly these tend to be contractual & actual contracts, but for emails & the like I want to say over kill & decry the nanny state but having seen some of the emails sent from site I can see a need, as ever its working to the lowest common denominator
              Indeed, but these problems are surely rooted in employing the wrong people; is it really such a good idea to inhibit the creativity of, and waste the time of good people?
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                yes senior people using graph paper etc stationary
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

templates for structured and complex documents - Yes, this is a sensible way to stick to agreed standards or just to produce consistent quality documents. If you're really good with them you can make the top level heading numbers and titles consistent between similar documents so its easier for the reader to find stuff quickly.

templates for e-mails - sounds like somebody has run out of work to do and is trying to avoid early termination of contract

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Yep, I got a report this morning that a permie styled themselves: black text on a navy blue background

he needs a template

Comment

Working...
                    X