• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just flipped at an agent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just flipped at an agent

Man, I never thought I'd get like this. Maybe I am just getting old and grumpy!

Agent: Hi, how are you, could you tell me a little about your skillset?
    Me: It's on my CV
    Agent: Yes, but how strong are you in this technology?
    Me: Very strong
    Agent: What about this technology?
    Me: Very strong
    Agent: Can you tell me about the projects you are working on?
    Me: It's all on my CV
    Agent: Do you want me to contact you another time?
    Me: It's not that, it's just you are asking me questions which are all on my CV.
    Agent: I am just asking you questions that our clients would be asking you
    Me: Have you looked at my CV? Do you think I'd have that CV if I couldn't answer those questions?
    Agent: Oh... OK.... looking through your CV would you mind if I contacted the companies you previously worked for?
    Me: Yes I would mind actually, I don't need you to get work for my previous clients

Do you think I was being too nice?

No you are being an idiot. He is working between you and the client and is effectively a salesman for the gig. Not giving him a bit of your time to try convince him you are the best man for the job so he puts you forward above anyone else is just stupid. You are supposed to be a business try to sell yourself and get work. Being arsey with him is just going to end up not getting put forward. He doesn't know what you do so take a moment to educate him and prove that you are a skilled worker not someone that is great at writing bulltulip on their CV.

Going for a moral win? In that case well done. Enjoy the extra time on the bench.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Are you looking for work? If so, then being rude to an agent seems pretty daft to me (whether they are on a fishing exercise or not).

If you aren't, then explain that and then finish the call.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        No you are being an idiot. He is working between you and the client and is effectively a salesman for the gig. Not giving him a bit of your time to try convince him you are the best man for the job so he puts you forward above anyone else is just stupid. You are supposed to be a business try to sell yourself and get work. Being arsey with him is just going to end up not getting put forward. He doesn't know what you do so take a moment to educate him and prove that you are a skilled worker not someone that is great at writing bulltulip on their CV.

Going for a moral win? In that case well done. Enjoy the extra time on the bench.
        WHS

You just basically gave him the RTFM response, thereby reinforcing why many in IT are considered non functional autistics

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I think you missed the point - If there was a genuine role or it was an agent genuinely asking for some help then I'd have no issue. Point is she called pretending there was a role and it quickly turned out to be a fishing one.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            I think you missed the point - If there was a genuine role or it was an agent genuinely asking for some help then I'd have no issue. Point is she called pretending there was a role and it quickly turned out to be a fishing one.
            I think you missed the point. Next time they have a real role, you might not get called, since you are now logged as a dickhead

Comment

What you are suppose to do is answer their questions and when they start asking for references just ask for them to email you so you can email them over.

90% of them won't email you.

Of the 10% who do 99% aren't clever enough to pretend it was for a role.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                WHS

You just basically gave him the RTFM response, thereby proving that people in IT are functional autistics
                FTFY
                Growing old is mandatory
                Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                  FTFY
                  Yeah, maybe I should have said "too hard to deal with to bother"

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                    A) Are you in a position to gamble as to whether there is a role or not...

B) Let's say you have guessed lucky and this isn't a real role. Exactly how much better is your life for saving the 10 mins to chat to him? No fluffy bunnies die if you talk to an agent for a couple of minutes so what have you saved in this instance? Maybe 2 years off your life due to increased blood pressure?

It's part of contracting, just learn to deal with it and it will become water off a ducks back. Going to war with agents is just stupid.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X