• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Our records indicate that your order with following details have been shipping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF?

Unbelievable, does nobody stop and think, "that makes us sound like a bunch of useless ****s" ?

This from a London based business that does not sell chutney.

That's what happens when you use automatic translators instead of using an actual person.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      That's what happens when you use automatic translators instead of using an actual person.
      I attended a "code review" for a library that we're supplying to an external customer. A group of published API functions had Celsius spelt Celcius!

"Do you realise that if we give them that library they're going to think we're a bunch of fcking cowboys!" Went down well on the code review form...

Comment

Having spent a very long 18 months of my life testing a public facing website produced by our non-English speaking colleagues, I can explain this in that there are so many 'issues' which cause orders to fail, each one resulting in a game of defect ping poing, blame, retesting, failing again before eventually shouting at someone, that something like a wording change just doesn't seem worth the expenditure of energy.

On the other hand, I had to build a website in Swiss-German - no doubt I had similarly garbled messages

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          I attended a "code review" for a library that we're supplying to an external customer. A group of published API functions had Celsius spelt Celcius!

"Do you realise that if we give them that library they're going to think we're a bunch of fcking cowboys!" Went down well on the code review form...
          I regularly use libraries from big companies such as Microsoft where colour has been spelled color!

Bunch of fcking cowboys.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

One merger I managed back in 2001 was more of a takeover than a merger by a UK based firm of a Germany based firm. One point of the merger agreement was that the German firm became an English language based firm on every item internally that MAY be seen by a non-German member of staff. The dev staff in Munich were not best pleased when told that all their work had to be done in English from that point on. It was quite amusing seeing the frothy mouthed rants of the German staff and IT management quickly slapped down by the German executive management team who told them to either shut up and do as they're told or go work elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              I regularly use libraries from big companies such as Microsoft where colour has been spelled color!

Bunch of fcking cowboys.
              When Netscape Navigator implemented support for X11 colour names, they ended up with all the shades of grey using the American spelling "gray" except for "lightgrey", which used the correct, British spelling. This was blamed on an English member of the development team

Interestingly, Internet Explorer 8 introduced support for the British version of all shades of grey, so Microsoft seem to be making some effort to address your concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post

There's a section of standard Oracle code that I work with where the name is "oracel", but it can't be changed now because there are far too many clients who use that part.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  I don't know what you are complaining about, it sounds like they are doing the needful with much cheapness and plenty quickness.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

This from a London based business that does not sell chutney.
                    Radiator bleeding keys?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X