• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for those who own a log burning fireplace/stove

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for those who own a log burning fireplace/stove

Apologies for the griceresque questions

How much do you pay for wood?
    What's the moisture % like?

I got some from the local smallholding/garden centre but they charge £4.50 for a 10kg bag. Anyone had much luck from gumtree or online sellers?

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

I got some from the local smallholding/garden centre but they charge £4.50 for a 10kg bag. Anyone had much luck from gumtree or online sellers?
    I used to have a log burner and it is very expensive to buy by the bag. I used to pay on average £50 ton if you have the space to store them. Over the course of the winter we used to use about 2 tons (fire on nearly every evening).

It is worth looking for unseasoned logs and seasoning them yourself as these are a lot cheaper, one the fire is hot you can use slightly moister logs, but i tended to use them at around 17%. You will now start noticing logs everywhere and it is amazing the amount of free wood you can get. Few places I wold recommend:

- Tree surgeons
    - landscape gardeners
    - farmers
    - Local council

If you have a log burner, you can actually use softwood logs, but these burn a lot quicker, spit and require the chimney to be cleaned more regularly.

Comment

I pay nothing for wood. I have my own trees planted 20+ years ago. The trees will out-live me. (In the 80s people thought I was mad to grow timber to burn)
      I normally cut and leave them for three years before burning.
      You need a minimum of one year after cutting.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I thought this was a thread about recycling human waste.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Find friends with spare, or find sources of free wood. e.g fallen branches on common land, pallets, skips, etc - think of all those lovely 2x4s people are paying to throw away.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

There's tons to be had for 'free' but you do spend ages fetching and carrying and chopping. Best bet is a friend who is having a tree cut down - you can pay extra for the tree surgeon to chop it into rounds and then it's just a question of waiting around for it to dry out. I've got a few drying out which will then need splitting.

As for buying it, i've just got 2 square metres of kiln dried stuff delivered for £250. First time i've bought any in 4 years of having a stove. On it's own i'd expect it to last into January but augmented with the other stuff i've collected it'll last though.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              I thought this was a thread about recycling human waste.
              https://www.engineeringforchange.org...ng_stoves.html

Dunno what the difference between dung and human poo is, but could be worth a go?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                https://www.engineeringforchange.org...ng_stoves.html

Dunno what the difference between dung and human poo is, but could be worth a go?
                I can imagine all sorts of trouble if I set fire to one of my own turds in a paint tin in the garden. It's almost worth doing for the craic.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

For our place in Edinburgh I pay £75 for a ton, and that is hard wood that has been drying for a year. Content lower than 15%. Buying small bags is always expensive.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

There's a place out Cowbridge way where you can collect your cubic meter of kiln dried over a couple of weeks.

Comment

Working...
                    X