• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share allocation post startup

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Share allocation post startup

Hi,

I have just setup a limited company using an online service. When I did so I issued 1 share worth £1 to myself, with hindsight this was a mistake - I wish to issue 5 shares to myself and 5 to my wife. I have returned to the site where I setup the company and allotted a further 9 shares and the share capital is now £10 but there is no way (using the particular site at least) to allocate these new shares amongst my self (a further 4 shares) and my wife (5 shares).

I have read here about how to issue shares:
    Setting up a limited company: How to issue shares - Startups

But I'm not entirely sure how relevant this is to my current predicament. Basically how do I go about allocating the extra 9 shares to myself and my wife?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Originally posted by jka View Post
    Hi,

I have just setup a limited company using an online service. When I did so I issued 1 share worth £1 to myself, with hindsight this was a mistake - I wish to issue 5 shares to myself and 5 to my wife. I have returned to the site where I setup the company and allotted a further 9 shares and the share capital is now £10 but there is no way (using the particular site at least) to allocate these new shares amongst my self (a further 4 shares) and my wife (5 shares).

I have read here about how to issue shares:
    Setting up a limited company: How to issue shares - Startups

But I'm not entirely sure how relevant this is to my current predicament. Basically how do I go about allocating the extra 9 shares to myself and my wife?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    If it were me, I'd speak to my accountant.
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

There are some pitfalls you need to watch with this. Gifting here shares towards the end of the tax year and then giving her a dirty great divi will attract attention from HMRC, as will different class shares, dividend wavers and changing shareholding too often. You need to make sure you understand all of this before you start.

There is also the aspect of the fact the wife now owns half your company and your income. We have posters on here that are in a lot of trouble with this once the relationship has broken down. Ask them if they think it was worth setting the wife up as a tax mule now.

Lots of differing opinions from accountants so I would seek their advice before moving forward.

Good thread on this here... plus lots of others in the search...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...d-company.html
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X