• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor working 2 jobs at the same time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor working 2 jobs at the same time

While my mate has recently got a new contract we realised that the same contractor is working two contracts at the same time

As one job is working from home and the other one is not much observed and he just shows up 2 days a week and works the rest from home.

What are the legal requirement for this? Shouldn't he not be bounded by contract not to work two roles at the same time? Both jobs are full time contracts.

Morally I think it’s wrong as he is trying to offload his work onto his co-workers and he is cashing in double day rate with doing the bare minimum?

Originally posted by maganda View Post
    While my mate has recently got a new contract we realised that the same contractor is working two contracts at the same time

As one job is working from home and the other one is not much observed and he just shows up 2 days a week and works the rest from home.

What are the legal requirement for this? Shouldn't he not be bounded by contract not to work two roles at the same time? Both jobs are full time contracts.

Morally I think it’s wrong as he is trying to offload his work onto his co-workers and he is cashing in double day rate with doing the bare minimum?
    It's called "Business". As long as he's delivering that needs to be delivered when it's needed, who cares?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Can you clarify the first sentence? Is the contractor your mate or someone else?
      Not bothered really, just I've read it 5 times now and it still makes no sense.

Are you a proper contractor? If you are, you wouldn't be posting such a daft question.
      Blood in your poo

Comment

He has one job - working for his Ltd / umbrella. He has multiple clients, who all seem to be happy with his work - if they aren't then the client should be pursuing this, with a view to possible termination.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
          Can you clarify the first sentence? Is the contractor your mate or someone else?
          Not bothered really, just I've read it 5 times now and it still makes no sense.

Are you a proper contractor? If you are, you wouldn't be posting such a daft question.
          really so you think its ok that some one does the bare minimum and cashes in double?

Yes and I am a proper contractor. I deliver on time and all my clients are happy with my work for years. And that is what a proper contrcator should be.

But for you a proper contractor just seems to be take the money and run?

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
            He has one job - working for his Ltd / umbrella. He has multiple clients, who all seem to be happy with his work - if they aren't then the client should be pursuing this, with a view to possible termination.
            That'd be my view...though of course if each client thinks they're getting full time work then they might take issue with it if they find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
              That'd be my view...though of course if each client thinks they're getting full time work then they might take issue with it if they find out.
              Professional working day, innit?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

I have multiple contracts at any one time. Right now, I have two massive clients (one banking, one in oil) who between them employ over 240,000 employees worldwide. Both would like me to work as full time as possible. Both understand I have other clients. The thing is, I'm not bad at what I do, and can sometimes do a piece of analysis and work in 2 hours which would ordinarily take four days to achieve. So I bill based partly on time worked and partly on output/time the client has saved.

So sometimes I do bill full days for both clients, even though I might only have worked for seven hours in a day. I look at what I have honestly achieved that day and determine whether I am comfortable billing a full or half day for each client. Some days, I don't bill at all, others I bill lots. Both my clients are very happy with the output.

The only challenge is limiting the amount of meetings I'm asked to attend.

I call my approach: business. I'd personally keep your nose out of things that don't concern you. Don't mean to be harsh, but it's quite possible that this chap is doing really well and people are happy with him.
                Last edited by GillsMan; 6 November 2013, 11:56.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
                  I call my approach: business. I'd personally keep your nose out of things that don't concern you. Don't mean to be harsh, but it's quite possible that this chap is doing really well and people are happy with him.
                  I do not see how you could possibly know the intricacies of his/her arrangements with the clients in question in respect of work hours, billing, and/or exclusivity, so if the clients are happy with what they get I would have to agree with Gillsman, - this really doesn't concern you - or your "mate".
                  If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

I have two clients. One I work most days at their office, the other I work 100% from home. I have been doing this for 2.5 years now and it has never been raised as an issue. I make sure that any meetings (calls) for the home job are either lunch time or in the evening (it's a USA based contract).

I have two further contracts signed with other companies, but they only give me occasional work.

I think this is a good helper with IR35 status and it is my duty to my shareholders to maximise profit if I can.

Comment

Working...
                    X