• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Bechdel test

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bechdel test

The Bechdel test rating is for gender bias in a film

To get an A, there needs to be two named female characters who have a conversation about something other than a man.

"The entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, all Star Wars movies, The Social Network, Pulp Fiction and all but one of the Harry Potter movies fail this test," said Ellen Tejle, the director of Bio Rio, an art-house cinema in Stockholm's trendy Södermalm district.

(One hopes that there are also two male characters who talk to each other about something other than women, but I guess that's largely a given, except perhaps in real 'chick flicks' like Sex in the City)

So which recent movies do pass this test?

Swedish cinemas take aim at gender bias with Bechdel test rating | World news | theguardian.com

"If they want different kind of movies they should produce some themselves and not just point fingers at other people," said Tanja Bergkvist, a physicist who writes a blog about Sweden's "gender madness".
    "Apparently Hollywood thinks that films with male characters will do better at the box office. It is also the case that most of the aspects of movie-making – writing, production, direction, and so on – are dominated by men, and so it is not a surprise that the stories we see are those that tend to revolve around men," Amy Bleakley, the study's lead author, said in an email.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Thelma & Louise
      Even Cowgirls the Blues
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

This particular 'test' seems a crude instrument to highlight an old issue (if indeed you believe that women aren't represented fairly in cinema and that they should be).

Laura Mulvey had a lot to say on the subject, and her idea of "the male gaze" has been applied to other disciplines too.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          The Bechdel test rating is for gender bias in a film

To get an A, there needs to be two named female characters who have a conversation about something other than a man.

"The entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, all Star Wars movies, The Social Network, Pulp Fiction and all but one of the Harry Potter movies fail this test," said Ellen Tejle, the director of Bio Rio, an art-house cinema in Stockholm's trendy Södermalm district.

(One hopes that there are also two male characters who talk to each other about something other than women, but I guess that's largely a given, except perhaps in real 'chick flicks' like Sex in the City)

So which recent movies do pass this test?

Swedish cinemas take aim at gender bias with Bechdel test rating | World news | theguardian.com
          Well this site has a list of every film they think passes the test. Not that it's much use, it still no guarantee it will be worth watching.

http://bechdeltest.com/sort/rating?page=0

On the plus side I have an excuse to watch that bastion of feminist cinematography that is the entire series of Resident Evil movies, again

Last edited by DaveB; 6 November 2013, 15:51.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

But that's all women do talk about in reality so it's fairly accurate.

Comment

Luscious Latina Lesbians 1, 3 and 4
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                Add in Babies, Clothes, cuddly / sweet presents, other women they don't like and you wouldn't be far wrong for many.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                  Also shopping and makeup.

And as they get older, kids.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Add in Babies, Clothes, cuddly / sweet presents, other women they don't like and you wouldn't be far wrong for many.
                    And Zombies. Don't forget the Zombies, they're important!

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X