• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FGM - why?? FFS Why?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FGM - why?? FFS Why?

Leyla Hussein: Meet the woman tackling FGM and The Cruel Cut with humour - Telegraph

The Cruel Cut - Channel 4

Its illegal, its horrific why does it still happen?

worth watching on 4OD.

Apart from the dappy lawyer.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

it's "cultural" so acceptable and if we* make a fuss about it we are racist.

The most sickening thing I heard about it was last week - there was a campaigner who decided to test UK citizens in London. She got people to sign a petition in a public place to make FGM legal in the UK. Only one person refused. Linky here.

*we mainly equals teachers and head teachers.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      it's "cultural" so acceptable and if we* make a fuss about it we are racist.

The most sickening thing I heard about it was last week - there was a campaigner who decided to test UK citizens in London. She got people to sign a petition in a public place to make FGM legal in the UK. Only one person refused. Linky here.

*we mainly equals teachers and head teachers.
      she had some good points.

Warning that politically correct attitudes could hamper the fight against FGM, Hussein added: 'FGM is not culture, it is violence.

'Stop using the culture word. This is happening to children. We are human beings, we can't watch children being cut, I don't care what culture you belong to.'

WE NEED prosecutions. Then it just falls into child protection.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

FGM, honor killings, forced marriages it's all the fallout from the last Labour government
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

What about non consenting males?

Should all be banned IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
            What about non consenting males?

Should all be banned IMO
            That one's tougher to tackle - it's religious rather than cultural belief. Much less damaging than the female version which is just barbaric, and sometimes done for good medical reasons too, which, to the best of my knowledge, female circumcision isn't. I agree with you that it's wrong - but don't think it's in the same league, and adding that to the argument is likely to dilute/muddy the stronger case against FGM.

Comment

My wife has to deal with the aftermath of this a lot in her area of work.

Recorded the program to watch another time.

Absolutely abhorrent practice.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                That one's tougher to tackle - it's religious rather than cultural belief. Much less damaging than the female version which is just barbaric, and sometimes done for good medical reasons too, which, to the best of my knowledge, female circumcision isn't. I agree with you that it's wrong - but don't think it's in the same league, and adding that to the argument is likely to dilute/muddy the stronger case against FGM.
                WMS
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

So, how are you going to prevent this abhorrent practice?

Comment

lets post about it on a website - that'll get things moving!

Comment

Working...
                    X