• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

M25 on Monday mornings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M25 on Monday mornings

I live north of London and commute to the mainland. Currently I fly Easyjet from Luton because it's my nearest airport, but it's getting to be a pain. The queues at Luton are just unlike any other airport I've see outside the Third World, both for passport and security going out, and (especially) for immigration coming back in on Friday night. It won't get better after the schools go back, I've done it for a year, to various places from Luton.

So I'm thinking of flying from Heathrow. Question: does anybody know what it's like driving dowm the M1 and along the M25 (and into LHR indeed) on Monday mornings? It'll be early, but is there ever early enough? Obviously I can just leave 3 hours for it, but I wondered if anyone else has done it?

Originally posted by expat
    I live north of London and commute to the mainland. Currently I fly Easyjet from Luton because it's my nearest airport, but it's getting to be a pain. The queues at Luton are just unlike any other airport I've see outside the Third World, both for passport and security going out, and (especially) for immigration coming back in on Friday night. It won't get better after the schools go back, I've done it for a year, to various places from Luton.

So I'm thinking of flying from Heathrow. Question: does anybody know what it's like driving dowm the M1 and along the M25 (and into LHR indeed) on Monday mornings? It'll be early, but is there ever early enough? Obviously I can just leave 3 hours for it, but I wondered if anyone else has done it?

You'd be better off going by train. Thameslink into London Kings Cross and then tube direct to heathrow or tube to paddington and then heathrow express. Less than 2 hours each way about £30 for the return ticket.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Yeah it's horrible. Can take 3-4 hours on a bad day. Usually clags from the M40 to the M3.
      Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
        Yeah it's horrible. Can take 3-4 hours on a bad day. Usually clags from the M40 to the M3.

And thats not counting the jams to get into heathrow itself.

Comment

Don't know about Monday mornings but driving yesterday around 9am on M25 (coming to it from M40) was fine, a bit of a queue on M4 (I think) leading to Heathrow tho.

IMO if you do it regularly you are better off using public transport - at least there are special bus lanes for it there.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            Don't know about Monday mornings but driving yesterday around 9am on M25 (coming to it from M40) was fine, a bit of a queue on M4 (I think) leading to Heathrow tho.

IMO if you do it regularly you are better off using public transport - at least there are special bus lanes for it there.
            Hmm. Public transport is ok but slow and a bit sparse in the morning. When I ask Journey Planner about arriving at LHR by 7:15 or earlier, it's 4:42 from my station, arrive 6:48. That's not really the kind of timings I had been looking for. And I don't like multiple changes, I'd rather have the comfort of my own car.

Maybe I´ll stick with Luton.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
              Hmm. Public transport is ok but slow and a bit sparse in the morning. When I ask Journey Planner about arriving at LHR by 7:15 or earlier, it's 4:42 from my station, arrive 6:48. That's not really the kind of timings I had been looking for. And I don't like multiple changes, I'd rather have the comfort of my own car.

Maybe I´ll stick with Luton.
              According to the National Rail Enquiries site there's a service at 05:14 from luton arriving in heathrow at 7:03. There are also trains at 05:44, 05:48 and 06:04 all taking Between 1:35 and 1:49 to get to heathrow.
              Last edited by DaveB; 9 August 2006, 08:59.

Comment

Fly from Luton To Heathrow!
                Perhaps HyperD will give you a lift?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
                  According to the National Rail Enquiries site there's a service at 05:14 from luton arriving in heathrow at 7:03. There are also trains at 05:44, 05:48 and 06:04 all taking Between 1:35 and 1:49 to get to heathrow.
                  My local station is Leighton Buzzard, I fly from Luton since we don't have our own budget airline (yet).

Flying from Luton, I can drive there in half an hour at that time in the morning. Going to LHR by train, I get Silverlink to Euston. It is almost worth driving to Luton and then taking the train from there! I could drive to Milton Keynes, which would get me faster trains to Euston.

I could live somewhere else, it'd be easier.....

Comment

By the way, surely airlines flying out of Heathrow are much more expensive?

Comment

Working...
                    X