• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you brainier than a chimp?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you brainier than a chimp?

When pollsters got 1,000 British people to take Rosling's "ignorance survey" in May this year, the results suggested they knew "less about the world than chimpanzees", he says.

Do the test, scratch your armpits, and shout 'ooh ooh ooh' here;

BBC News - Hans Rosling: Do you know more about the world than a chimpanzee?

I got 7/9, making me a 'Great Ape'!
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Ook.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Hhhmmm, scored 1

latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
        Hhhmmm, scored 1

Do you read the Daily Mail?

Comment

The article doesn't make sense. Rosling is reported as saying that the people polled knew "less about the world than chimpanzees". However, it then goes on to quote him as saying "If for each question I wrote each of the possible alternatives on bananas, and asked chimpanzees in the zoo to pick the right answers, and by picking the right bananas, they'd just pick bananas at random. But the Brits did even worse." As far as I can tell from that rather oddly-phrased statement, he's saying that the chimps would select bananas purely at random, and that the British people polled did worse than random.

But that doesn't mean there is any comparison between levels of intelligence, or even knowledge, going on. The chimps aren't having their intelligence levels measured; they're being used as random number generators. If a human chooses A as an answer to a particular question, it will be because they've used their cognitive abilities combined with their knowledge of the world to work out what the correct answer is; the hypothetical ape just grabs a banana at random, let's say B. If it turns out the ape has the right answer, it doesn't make the ape brainier than the human; if the positions are reversed, it doesn't imply that the human is smarter than the ape.

All that getting a score worse than random implies is that a non-random method was used to choose the answers. It says nothing about relative intelligence of species. Anyway, they didn't even use any apes; who's to say that real chimps would produce a truly random response?

Incidentally, I would assume this is sloppy journalism, as is most reporting on scientific matters. This seems to be confirmed by reading Rosling's own, chimp-free, summary of the findings. You can find out more about Rosling's Gapminder project at The Ignorance Project.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            The article doesn't make sense. Rosling is reported as saying that the people polled knew "less about the world than chimpanzees". However, it then goes on to quote him as saying "If for each question I wrote each of the possible alternatives on bananas, and asked chimpanzees in the zoo to pick the right answers, and by picking the right bananas, they'd just pick bananas at random. But the Brits did even worse." As far as I can tell from that rather oddly-phrased statement, he's saying that the chimps would select bananas purely at random, and that the British people polled did worse than random.

But that doesn't mean there is any comparison between levels of intelligence, or even knowledge, going on. The chimps aren't having their intelligence levels measured; they're being used as random number generators. If a human chooses A as an answer to a particular question, it will be because they've used their cognitive abilities combined with their knowledge of the world to work out what the correct answer is; the hypothetical ape just grabs a banana at random, let's say B. If it turns out the ape has the right answer, it doesn't make the ape brainier than the human; if the positions are reversed, it doesn't imply that the human is smarter than the ape.

All that getting a score worse than random implies is that a non-random method was used to choose the answers. It says nothing about relative intelligence of species. Anyway, they didn't even use any apes; who's to say that real chimps would produce a truly random response?

Incidentally, I would assume this is sloppy journalism, as is most reporting on scientific matters. This seems to be confirmed by reading Rosling's own, chimp-free, summary of the findings. You can find out more about Rosling's Gapminder project at The Ignorance Project.
            I know, but don't tell the chimps.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Do you read the Daily Mail?
              Only look at the pictures...
              latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
                Only look at the pictures...
                Ah you see, the Daily Wail has ways of making you thick.

Comment

However... the ape ends up with a load of bananas and the human has just wasted a proportion of his/her life on a ridiculous quiz. Who's smarter now?

Comment

WHS - The whole chimp thing is completely irrelevant and as daft as a brush.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X