• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank hints at further rate rises

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank hints at further rate rises

The Bank of England has hinted that UK rates may have to rise further in coming months in order to keep inflation on target at 2%.
    In its quarterly inflation report, the Bank said inflation could rise as high as 2.7% without a rate rise.

But while the Bank said it had raised its expectations for economic growth, it warned that high energy bills still posed a risk.

The news comes a week after the Bank raised rates to 4.75% from 4.5%.

I'm telling you, 6% by Spring 2007. Remember, you heard it here first.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Getting up from 4.5% to 6% would make a lot of people default on morgages.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
      The Bank of England has hinted that UK rates may have to rise further in coming months in order to keep inflation on target at 2%.
      In its quarterly inflation report, the Bank said inflation could rise as high as 2.7% without a rate rise.

But while the Bank said it had raised its expectations for economic growth, it warned that high energy bills still posed a risk.

The news comes a week after the Bank raised rates to 4.75% from 4.5%.

I'm telling you, 6% by Spring 2007. Remember, you heard it here first.

Bollox !

Comment

Muppets

They cited rising fuel and energy prices (20%) as a reason for putting up the base rate (is there a regulator ?) Next they'll say it's council tax rises (as we've been warned) or whatever. Truth is whereas before a Chancellor with balls like Ken Clarke would sit with the Governor of the Bank over a cigar and a scotch, then decide what the best rate would be and ask him to countersign, now we have this quango of Blarite/Brownite bankers/advisors hiding behind figures and telling us what's best. Muppets.

Comment

Originally posted by Asterix
          They cited rising fuel and energy prices (20%) as a reason for putting up the base rate (is there a regulator ?) Next they'll say it's council tax rises (as we've been warned) or whatever. Truth is whereas before a Chancellor with balls like Ken Clarke would sit with the Governor of the Bank over a cigar and a scotch, then decide what the best rate would be and ask him to countersign, now we have this quango of Blarite/Brownite bankers/advisors hiding behind figures and telling us what's best. Muppets.

Yeah it best that politicians decide interest rates, rather than bankers. Hopefully then we can have another black wednesday!
          I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

NewLie propaganda

'Black' Wednesday - 15% interest rates, another NewLie spin. Most here dont know what it was, so let me enlighten you. This was the enforced entry to the Eurozone (under Labour and Lib pressure and despite Thatcherites' warnings) combined with heavy speculating by 'philanthropists' like Soros. 15% only lasted for a few days in order to protet the pound, it went straight back to single figures afterwards.
            Having bankers in charge of interest rates is like having a wolf guard the sheep.

Comment

'Black' Wednesday - 15% interest rates, another NewLie spin. Most here dont know what it was, so let me enlighten you. This was the enforced entry to the Eurozone (under Labour and Lib pressure and despite Thatcherites' warnings) combined with heavy speculating by 'philanthropists' like Soros. 15% only lasted for a few days in order to protet the pound, it went straight back to single figures afterwards.
              Having bankers in charge of interest rates is like having a wolf guard the sheep.
              Bollox.

Comment

Why ?

Pls explain why

Comment

The BOE do a better job of controlling interest rates than the government IMHO however I now suspect that the treasury is exerting considerable political leverage over the BOE. Probably with threats over CT etc.

The government is stoking inflation and then the BOE attempt to cool it using interest rates, its like a game of monopoly but we don't get to play ourselves.

Comment

I see the Tories needed Labour and Lib Dem to tell them what to do, were they really that feeble minded?

Do you really believe politicians (any politicians) should set interest rates? Politicians only act when the horse has already bolted. Any government would not want to raise interest rates now.

Had interest rates been managed properly we wouldn't have entered the ERM at the wrong rate.

'Let me enlighten you' indeed LMFAO
                    Last edited by Numptycorner; 9 August 2006, 11:11.
                    I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Working...
                    X