• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Red or white?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red or white?

Matt Gurney: Protesters need to learn history; the poppy is already a symbol of peace | National Post

"white poppy supports peace, while a red one glorifies war"

Red
    76.92%
    White
    7.69%
    No poppy - AndyW's mum wears mine for me
    15.38%
    one day at a time

Its the same crap every year, although my biggest problem at the moment is the number of "vajazzled" poppies that have now become status sysmbols
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Its the same crap every year, although my biggest problem at the moment is the number of "vajazzled" poppies that have now become status sysmbols
      To be saddened by 'glamour and bling' poppies? (full thread) | Mumsnet Discussion
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I don't see the red ones as glorifying war, just a mark of respect for those who experienced things most of us can't imagine and many of whom gave their lives in defence of the freedom we have today. Ah, read it was a bunch of yank students the piece is about. Fsck them, ignorant winkers!

Comment

I'd wear a poppy without donating (if they were just made freely available to those who wanted to wear them), and I'd donate without taking a poppy. It has nothing to do with glorifying war, victory, killing or such-like.

To me, wearing the poppy shows that I'm in support of the work done by the RBL.
          Donating is my way of hoping to help them to continue to do that work.

The RBL use the red poppy, so that's what I wear. I wear a paper one, as that's specifically the RBLs campaign symbol - if they want to sell pimped up poppies for more money then that's fine, but I do find it slightly objectional if people are wearing either real poppies or "jewellery" poppies and not donating at all. My perception is that they are then wearing them simply to fit in, rather than actually thinking about what it means.

I also find it slightly objectionable that people may feel pressured into wearing a poppy. Can you imagine the outcry if a newsreader or politician were seen without one, no matter what their personal opinion?

Comment

The ones who wear white poppies are more interested in the occasion being about them rather than those who died in war.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Bloody bad taste to attract attention to themselves at the expense of people who lost their lives; hold your campaign on any other day, but not on Remembrance day.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven"
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Is a vajazzled poppy, one that is pinned to a woman's 'ladies parts' ?
                Doesn't sound very comfy or practical to me. I'll stick to the paper one on my lapel
                I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                  I don't see the red ones as glorifying war, just a mark of respect for those who experienced things most of us can't imagine and many of whom gave their lives in defence of the freedom we have today
                  Isn't the issue that the red one supports the principle of war in the first place, and white-wearers (while they may respect those who died) want to make it clear they do not condone war in the first place?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Isn't the issue that the red one supports the principle of war in the first place, and white-wearers (while they may respect those who died) want to make it clear they do not condone war in the first place?
                    I don't think the red one supports the principle of war; it simply recognises that tulip happens, and when tulip happens, some people are brave enough to risk their lives and some of them die.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X