• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hair bags

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hair bags

Swedes Develop Invisible Bike Helmet

Hövding ? Airbag for cyclists

Looks like a great idea - I hate wearing a helmet.

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

<titter>
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      <titter>
      Oh do grow up.

Comment

That looks pretty good but isn't got to stop a good old over the handlebars faceplant like this. To be fair existing helmets don't either.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Dunno - video at 3:14 looks like it would absorb most of the damage.

Comment

Bawbags
            Me, me, me...

Comment

clever idea,

Not liking the video nothing like a bit of gratuitous gender victimism or arrogance.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Nice Idea, but a couple of issues I can think of. One, it looks like a one shot deal. Once it's gone off you have to throw it away and buy a new one. Two, it looks very bulky round the neck and looks like it would make it harder to turn your head to check behind you when you want to pull out or overtake, or even just see whats behind you at the lights.

Finally I don't really agree with them when they say helmets are uncomfortable. Maybe if you bought the cheap £10.99 jobs from Halfords and you'd tried it on for 10 seconds, but if you actually spend the money to buy a good quality helmet then they fit well, are very light and you soon forget your wearing it.

EDIT: Just read the article as well. $500 a pop? Ouch.
                Last edited by DaveB; 8 November 2013, 20:57.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  Nice Idea, but a couple of issues I can think of. One, it looks like a one shot deal. Once it's gone off you have to throw it away and buy a new one. Two, it looks very bulky round the neck and looks like it would make it harder to turn your head to check behind you when you want to pull out or overtake, or even just see whats behind you at the lights.

Finally I don't really agree with them when they say helmets are uncomfortable. Maybe if you bought the cheap £10.99 jobs from Halfords and you'd tried it on for 10 seconds, but if you actually spend the money to buy a good quality helmet then they fit well, are very light and you soon forget your wearing it.

EDIT: Just read the article as well. $500 a pop? Ouch.
                  I imagine they'll get cheaper if they catch on.

Like a lot of people, I wear my helmet with the chin strap far too loose - I can't bear it done up tight. It also makes me far too hot in the summer. Will be interesting to see how this develops.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    clever idea,

Not liking the video nothing like a bit of gratuitous gender victimism or arrogance.
                    Agree - nice idea, horrible video.

One, it looks like a one shot deal. Once it's gone off you have to throw it away and buy a new one.
                    Yes, but if you smack your head while wearing a normal helmet it should be replaced (assuming it hasn't shattered to absorb the force anyway). But not as expensive to replace, no.

Yep, never found my helmet to be uncomfortable, and it's just a £20 odd Specialized.

Besides the other annoyances in the video, things like "Helmets have always looked the same" - no they haven't!
                    "Cars as so over, bikes are the future" (or whatever the quote was). Maybe if you live in the city and never have to transport other people, goods, pets, etc.
                    The neck thing does look a bit uncomfortable. Maybe it isn't, who knows. I can't help but feeling that their main concern was messing up their hair.

Comment

Working...
                    X