• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All around weirdness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All around weirdness

BBC News - Row over US mobile phone 'cockroach backpack' app

Personally, I've nothing against harming cockroaches. I find the idea of having a remote controlled one slightly odd though
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    BBC News - Row over US mobile phone 'cockroach backpack' app

Personally, I've nothing against harming cockroaches. I find the idea of having a remote controlled one slightly odd though
    A similar electronic control device is used to control US senators
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

That article made me feel slightly queasy.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        That article made me feel slightly queasy.
        +1

How long before an intrepid school kid tries to see if it will work on the goldfish, gerbil, guinea pig , cat, dog, or smaller sibling?

Possibly with a bigger battery.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
          +1

How long before an intrepid school kid tries to see if it will work on the goldfish, gerbil, guinea pig , cat, dog, or smaller sibling?

Possibly with a bigger battery.
          Yep I can see kids trying it out on small mammals like rats, gerbils etc.
          Won't be coming over here any time soon unless the company concerned wants dead staff.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I used to have a huge phobia of roaches, where I couldnt even say the word. However over time I've forced myself to get over it.
            (and can now see pictures of them without freaking out and can view tanks at the zoo full of the hissing ones.)
            But having read this article even I found myself feeling sorry for the little buggers!
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Personally, I think it's immoral.

What's the difference between this and tasering your dog or cat?

Comment

I for one welcome our new Cockroach Overlords.

It was a logical extension of all the cuddly Dolphins & sharks being defended by the greenies.

they want disposable and almost undetectable spy devices.

Still pretty horrible. If it had a positive reason for being say medical prosthesis then maybe it wouldn't be so revolting.
                Last edited by vetran; 10 November 2013, 16:18. Reason: re-read sounded like I approved - I DON'T
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Sounds like a very valid thing in a research environment - I'm guessing it could have applications for stroke victims etc. It's selling it as a kit to Joe Public that's very wrong. Having said that, I wouldn't mind trying it out on husband.

Comment

Reminds me of a book I read

The Roaches Have No King (Five Star): Amazon.co.uk: Daniel Evan Weiss, 99p Special: Books
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X