• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for the cyclists.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the cyclists.

Overshoes?

Poll to follow

Don't be daft, they look ridiculous
    33.33%
    Yep, even better in fluorescent yellow
    58.33%
    Riding AndyW's mum keeps my feet warm
    8.33%
    Last edited by mudskipper; 11 November 2013, 08:32.

Yes, they work well, and at sub-zero temperatures they'll prevent frostbite. Don't worry, you're going to look silly anyway covered in lycra.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Yes, they work well, and at sub-zero temperatures they'll prevent frostbite. Don't worry, you're going to look silly anyway covered in lycra.
      yep

Comment

Feet froze yesterday despite warm socks. Think I'm going to have to.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          Feet froze yesterday despite warm socks. Think I'm going to have to.
          Maybe better with a rubber outer shell; the rubber's a good idea in case your feet get wet riding through puddles. However, best to buy them at a shop and take your cycling shoes with you to be sure they fit over the shoe snugly.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Overshoes for sure, I wear two pairs when its really really cold and going to be out many hours. Even then the cold eventually finds its way through. Ive found the Endura overshoes really good.

Dont fall into the trap of wearing overly thick socks, if you restrict the space in the bike shoe there's no air pockets which hold the warmer air to keep you foot warm.

Comment

Definitely.

The lightweight ones are cheaper and ok if you know it's going to be dry or are a real weight weeny, neoprene ones are the best. Make sure you get some with reinforced toes or they'll wear through quickly and be useless. Flouro yellow is entirely optional, personally I went with black
              Last edited by DaveB; 11 November 2013, 09:58.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Winter Boots

No, what you want are winter boots. You are a contractor, why go for the cheap add-on to existing kit when you can buy a whole new set just for winter use?

Nice pair of Shimano MW80s is what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyWolf View Post
                  No, what you want are winter boots. You are a contractor, why go for the cheap add-on to existing kit when you can buy a whole new set just for winter use?

Nice pair of Shimano MW80s is what you want.
                  Ah, Ted. No.

Those are MTB boots, we're talking road use here. So something like this : Louis Garneau Glacier Road Shoe review | road.cc

But most people just go with overshoes and an extra pair/thermal of socks. It doesn't really get cold enough here to warrant winter boots, and thats the main advantage for them. Your feet will still get wet eventually regardless of what you wear, the water soaks into whatever you have on your legs and seeps down to your feet anyway.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    Ah, Ted. No.

Those are MTB boots, we're talking road use here. So something like this : Louis Garneau Glacier Road Shoe review | road.cc

But most people just go with overshoes and an extra pair/thermal of socks. It doesn't really get cold enough here to warrant winter boots, and thats the main advantage for them. Your feet will still get wet eventually regardless of what you wear, the water soaks into whatever you have on your legs and seeps down to your feet anyway.
                    I have all purpose SPDs and frequently haul my arse and bike through the woods to ClientCo, so MTB is the way to go. Have sent hubby a link to Endura MTB overshoes for my Christmas present.

Comment

Working...
                    X