• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yet another Expenses question.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another Expenses question.

Sill question time, probably deserves to be in General. Other than the 24 month rule, at what point would you not claim expenses? I may have an opportunity coming up soon which is approximately 15 miles away from where I live. It is in a different zone from where I live, and will require a minimum of 40 minutes travelling each way. Would it be considered reasonable to claim all expenses in this scenario?
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

My current gig is around 20 miles from home. It takes ~ 40 mins (by car). I claim this every time I drive to it. I only submit one travel claim for the whole year though. It's a bit pointless putting in an expense claim for a few quid every week IMO.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
      Sill question time, probably deserves to be in General. Other than the 24 month rule, at what point would you not claim expenses? I may have an opportunity coming up soon which is approximately 15 miles away from where I live. It is in a different zone from where I live, and will require a minimum of 40 minutes travelling each way. Would it be considered reasonable to claim all expenses in this scenario?
      I certainly do with that kind of timeframe/distance.

Comment

It is only the 24 month rule that you need to worry about here, it does not matter how far away from your home the contract is. Providing it isn't really close to where your current contract is based (and fall into the 'square mile' rule) then you'll be fine.

Hope this helps.
        Craig

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
          My current gig is around 20 miles from home. It takes ~ 40 mins (by car). I claim this every time I drive to it. I only submit one travel claim for the whole year though. It's a bit pointless putting in an expense claim for a few quid every week IMO.
          Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          I certainly do with that kind of timeframe/distance.
          Great. I just want to make sure I am not claiming for the sake of claiming. I know if I worked about 10 minutes away, it can be argued that I shouldn't claim expenses (travel and food) based on distance, but just needed to make sure that I am not being unreasonable in what I can claim.

This is all theory at the moment, just want to make sure I am not making the wrong assumptions.
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Claim everything that you are entitled to. I process mine at the end of each month (OK, middle of the following month normally).

Every little helps.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
              It is only the 24 month rule that you need to worry about here, it does not matter how far away from your home the contract is. Providing it isn't really close to where your current contract is based (and fall into the 'square mile' rule) then you'll be fine.

Hope this helps.
              Craig
              Thanks Craig. It is pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking.

Comment

Working...
              X