• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CCII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CCII

Bit late today. Not that I forgot it was Monday or anything, oh no, certainly not
    • The Nazi Anatomists - "How the corpses of Hitler's victims are still haunting modern science—and American abortion politics." Emily Bazelon on the medical researchers who made use of the bodies of those executed by the Nazis.

• A Parable of Disconnectedness - "The report below comes from Glenna Hall... She writes about an episode this week in which she and her community lost virtually all contact with the outside world -- by cellphone, landline, and Internet. Because they were on an island, they couldn't just drive someplace else." The horror

• You have 1 items - "Why bother? Nobody else does. And besides it wouldn’t make that much difference if we did it anyway." Hoss Gifford on minor irritations in the user experience.

• Aldo Nadi's Duel - An Italian fencer's account of accepting a challenge to a duel in the early 20th century: "Were I to be defeated, my professional career would be seriously jeopardized. Should I kill or seriously wound my opponent, public opinion would unjustly react against me. i was on the spot. I had to wound not too severely a man who knew much more about dueling than I, and who was by no means a third-rate fencer--an almost impossible assignment in the excitement and self-preservation of a duel."

• New homeowner opens shelter sealed since 1961 - Craig Denham bought a house that used to belong to a USAF colonel: "In the backyard of the creative director's mid-century modern home in West Lake Hills is a 1961 fallout shelter in near-mint condition."

• It’s up to you. - "Unlike most people, I have many vivid memories from my childhood... I remember being beaten with a wooden spoon, or leather belt, or whatever was handy, and I remember the crazed look she’d get in her eyes, and I remember the time she dislocated a finger from striking me so hard, and all the times later over the years she used to bring up that injury and laugh about it, like it was our little family joke." Amy Hoy on dealing with memories of prolonged, violent abuse as a child.

• Out of the picture: why the world's best photo startup is going out of business - "Everpix was great. This is how it died." Casey Newton on the decline and fall of Everpix.

• What Long Hours Really Mean - "In the tech and design sectors there’s a lot of folks working long hours, like 70+ hours a week. There’s a certain badge-of-honor-martyr-complex-thing that comes along with it. But let’s set the record straight." One to print out and leave where the permies can find it

• All LinkedIn with Nowhere to Go - "In a jobs economy that has become something of a grim joke, nothing seems quite so bleak as the digital job seeker’s all-but-obligatory LinkedIn account... Instead of facing the prospect of interfacing professionally with a nine-figure user base with a renewed spring in their step, harried victims of economic redundancy are more likely to greet their latest LinkedIn updates with a muttered variation of, “Oh tulip, I’d better send out some more résumés.”" Ann Friedman examines the various techniques LinkedIn uses in its attempts to appear relevant and useful.

• The Record Books - Albums re-imagined by Christophe Gowans as books, such as Abbey Road in a style reminiscent of the designs Penguin used for the novels of Graham Greene in the mid-Seventies: "Classic paperback. The story of two catholic sisters growing up in a swiftly changing post-war Britain. Guess what? It doesn’t end well."

Happy invoicing!

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    [*]What Long Hours Really Mean - "In the tech and design sectors there’s a lot of folks working long hours, like 70+ hours a week. There’s a certain badge-of-honor-martyr-complex-thing that comes along with it. But let’s set the record straight." One to print out and leave where the permies can find it
    Yeah, I'm a big believer in measuring outputs, not inputs.

Years ago someone gave me this pearl of wisdom: if you find people who are regularly working more than 40 hours a week, then get rid of them: they need 50-60 hours to achieve what everyone else does in 40, i.e. it's under-performers and the weak who work long hours.

Comment

1 item.

The grief I went through to get this defect fixed.

Comment

[*]The Nazi Anatomists - "How the corpses of Hitler's victims are still haunting modern science—and American abortion politics." Emily Bazelon on the medical researchers who made use of the bodies of those executed by the Nazis.
        wow. i hope emily bazelon expands and publishes that as a book.

Comment

[*]Out of the picture: why the world's best photo startup is going out of business - "Everpix was great. This is how it died." Casey Newton on the decline and fall of Everpix.

:::
          From that article

Quennesson had noted that the more photos he took, the less likely he was ever to look at any one of them ever again. "People take more and more photos, but paradoxically, they become more and more disconnected from them," ...
          This is very true, and equally true of ebooks, and music tracks, and film DVDs. Paradoxically, the more tens of thousands one collects, the less inclined one is to look at any!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Indeed.

As Douglas Adams pointed out, a video recorder is a machine that watches tv for you.

He'd have loved modern DVRs. Imagine, a machine that will watch an entire series for you at the touch of a button!

Comment

Think of the time it saves.
              I discovered at the weekend that the 2TB drive I rip DVDs to is almost full. I need to get another one for the rest of the stuff I'll never watch again.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                Years ago someone gave me this pearl of wisdom: if you find people who are regularly working more than 40 hours a week, then get rid of them: they need 50-60 hours to achieve what everyone else does in 40, i.e. it's under-performers and the weak who work long hours.
                It doesn't really work like that. Lots of perfectly capable people will willingly work longer hours for a short period e.g. in order to meet a deadline, expecting to return to normal afterwards. Unfortunately after a fairly short period of working longer hours as a "one-off" their performance deteriorates, so they end up needing to work longer hours to do what they could do in 40 before. It's a long hours culture that breeds "weak", "under performing", people who are basically too tired to be useful.

The way round it is to make sure that if you have people working long hours for a short period to meet a deadline you follow it up with a period of slacking or time off so they get back to being their normal selves. I personally adopt a time management approach where I try to avoid working excessively long hours at all. I still follow it up with periods of slacking just to be sure I'm not overdoing it.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Every home should have a fallout shelter.

Yeah.

Right.

Thought those soup cans looked a bit fresh too, but he'd replaced them.

After a fortnight existing on crackers & tomato soup I think you'd go & play in the fallout just for a bit of a change.
                  The Swiss were keen on building fallout shelters until just a few years ago so all buildings of a certain age will have one. As they would be the biggest and best organised group of survivors a post-nuclear world would be dominated by the Swiss.

After four years of living amongst them I think I'd rather die in the nuclear inferno.

Comment

Working...
                  X