• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Impressions of London / England

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impressions of London / England

Just spent a long weekend in London and have to say, what a damn fine city. It maybe scruffy, noisy and dirty in places but what large city isn't. I came away with the following impressions:

- prices. These were more than fair and we couldn't complain. Food, drink and other purchases were all comparable with other major cities and in some cases were cheaper so I'm not too sure waht people complain about. The only places which were a bit expensive were those directly in the center but even then we expected that and they weren't overly expensive either
    - petrol. Why can't I get 98 octane but only 97? Price was also fair although I can't see why the petrol pumps can't be like in Germany where you just stick the nozzle in the tank and then click the little lever so the handle stays locked leaving your hands free and not in constant contact with the (smelly) handle
    - foreigners. **** me there's a lot of them, mostly tourists though...Actually I would say that 90% of the people I dealt with, hotel, pub, eateries, etc. were not English. I think the only Enlgish people I had any dealings with were a couple of shop assistants and a bus driver. I was at Victoria bus station looking at the bus route map working out which bus to take and a friendly gentleman in a strange uniform, turned out it was a TfL one, helped me with finding the correct bus and he turned out to be Italian
    - food. Good, reasonably priced and decent portions. The only problem was the curry, which was excellent, as it really made me fart badly. Bottled beer was a bit expensive though...
    - weather. Cold and wet for about 50% of the time but it is November...
    - people. Nearly everyone had a mobile phone in their hand, whether sitting on the tube / bus or walking (I purposely walked into a few who were so busy texting and not looking where they were going.) Does no-one interact anymore? They should put mobile signal suppressors in the tube and make people realise that there is another world out there...
    - supermarket. **** me it was full on the Sunday morning and the queue of cars trying to get into John Lewis Home stuff was amazing. Whatever happened to Sunday morning paper reading / playing football / recovering / etc?
    - television. Well it wasn't too bad but it wasn't particularly good either but what got me were the adverts, primarily gambling or finance and if they weren't then they were offering you finance to buy their product. Also nealry every advert has some writing at the bottom of the screen telling you something, whats that all about?

The Lord Mayors Procession was quite good though...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    - prices. These were more than fair and we couldn't complain. Food, drink and other purchases were all comparable with other major cities and in some cases were cheaper so I'm not too sure waht people complain about. The only places which were a bit expensive were those directly in the center but even then we expected that and they weren't overly expensive either
    People compain because they buy things at transport hubs, or central London where business rates and rents are extortionate.

- foreigners. **** me there's a lot of them, mostly tourists though...Actually I would say that 90% of the people I dealt with, hotel, pub, eateries, etc. were not English. I think the only Enlgish people I had any dealings with were a couple of shop assistants and a bus driver. I was at Victoria bus station looking at the bus route map working out which bus to take and a friendly gentleman in a strange uniform, turned out it was a TfL one, helped me with finding the correct bus and he turned out to be Italian
    The people who use to do those types of jobs where foreigners and students. Students don't find it cost effective to work in hotels, pubs, eateries etc as the shifts aren't flexible however if you go into supermarkets, local stores and other retailers you will find lots of students or more likely graduates.

- people. Nearly everyone had a mobile phone in their hand, whether sitting on the tube / bus or walking (I purposely walked into a few who were so busy texting and not looking where they were going.) Does no-one interact anymore? They should put mobile signal suppressors in the tube and make people realise that there is another world out there...
    Nope

- supermarket. **** me it was full on the Sunday morning and the queue of cars trying to get into John Lewis Home stuff was amazing. Whatever happened to Sunday morning paper reading / playing football / recovering / etc?
    Saturday early morning and certain times on Saturday afternoon are less busy.

- television. Well it wasn't too bad but it wasn't particularly good either but what got me were the adverts, primarily gambling or finance and if they weren't then they were offering you finance to buy their product. Also nealry every advert has some writing at the bottom of the screen telling you something, whats that all about?
    ASA have got stricter hence the writing.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Have you off fooked back to Krautland now
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Just spent a long weekend in London and have to say, what a damn fine city. <snip>
        Yes I agree, it is a damn fine city !

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          ASA have got stricter hence the writing.
          ha ha, yes, things like -- 75% of people said that Pantene made their hair feel shiny *

* 75% of 4 people polled in January 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Yes I agree, it is a damn fine city !
            Absolutely.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

ha ha, yes, things like -- 75% of people said that Pantene made their hair feel shiny *

* 75% of 4 people polled in January 2012
              Yeah I love that.

Though with things like mascara* they always use about 84 people.

* the model is wearing false lashes
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                * the model is wearing false lashes
                Dolmio Italian Pasta Sauces *

* made in Holland

Comment

Dolmio Italian Pasta Sauces *

* made in Holland

And not available in NL, AFAIK.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    Have you off fooked back to Krautland now
                    Nope, I'm currently in Luton peeking through someone's kitchen window...
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X