• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windaz not good for human exploration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windaz not good for human exploration

International Space Station attacked by ‘virus epidemics’

"In May, the United Space Alliance, migrated all the computer systems related to the ISS over to Linux for security, stability and reliability reasons."

Rock on Linux

International Space Station attacked by ‘virus epidemics’

International Space Station became infected with computer viruses from time to time.
    Malware made its way aboard the International Space Station (ISS) causing “virus epidemics” in space, according to security expert Eugene Kaspersky.

Kaspersky, head of security firm Kaspersky labs, revealed at the Canberra Press Club 2013 in Australia that before the ISS switched from Windows XP to Linux computers, Russian cosmonauts managed to carry infected USB storage devices aboard the station spreading computer viruses to the connected computers.

The damage done by the malware to the computer systems of the ISS is unknown. However, Kaspersky said virus epidemics took hold of the space-based computers, including dozens of laptops.

The Windows XP-based laptops on the ISS were infected with a virus called W32.Gammima.AG in 2008, after a cosmonaut brought a compromised laptop aboard which spread the malware to the networked computers.

"It's not a frequent occurrence, but this isn't the first time," a Nasa spokesperson said at the time.

In May, the United Space Alliance, which oversees the running of if the ISS in orbit, migrated all the computer systems related to the ISS over to Linux for security, stability and reliability reasons.

• In October, a popular Google-backed BitTorrent client was found to be spreading malware
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    In October, a popular Google-backed BitTorrent client was found to be spreading malware
    Does DCMA cover outer space?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Can you turn a space station off and on again?
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        NASA can't but it seems Anonymous can.

Comment

Well, you can turn it off.

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer doooooooo...........

Comment

That is 5 year old news you are getting excited over.

Comment

Yes, but you need enormous balls and an even bigger brain.

Michael Foale: Mir and Mathematica
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
              X