• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eckhart Tolle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eckhart Tolle

Eckhart Tolle | Official Site - Spiritual Teachings and Tools For Personal Growth and Happiness

Had a Bupa assessment thingy yesterday. Doc I saw suggested I read "The Power of Now" by this chappie.

Just found his website, and it looks like claptrap, not to mention the dodgy beard.

Anyone looked into this stuff? Will it make me happy...?

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Eckhart Tolle | Official Site - Spiritual Teachings and Tools For Personal Growth and Happiness

Had a Bupa assessment thingy yesterday. Doc I saw suggested I read "The Power of Now" by this chappie.

Just found his website, and it looks like claptrap, not to mention the dodgy beard.

Anyone looked into this stuff? Will it make me happy...?
    Doesn't he run a chain of chemists too?

Comment

Read it & tell us after if you are happier
      Growing old is mandatory
      Growing up is optional

Comment

Get a new doc. This one's broken. Or he's getting a kickback from the author.

Comment

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...tml#post644341

Quick google tells me Churchill read it and found it calming - I hate to think what he was like before!

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post

Get a new doc. This one's broken. Or he's getting a kickback from the author.
            She was a bit strange, but very nice. Might take Halo's advice.

Comment

: If Being, or God, is the creative source of all energy and thoughts, and thoughts from the ego are a negative form of energy, don’t these negative thoughts originate from Being? In other words, did God create evil?
              A: That kind of question has been asked and talked about by many philosophers and it has remained a kind of stumbling block in the Christian religion. So let’s see what the intuitive answer is. In this sense-perceived universe, if you want to use anything here to compare God to, the most appropriate thing would be the sun. The sun is the source of seemingly inexhaustible energy, and the giver of life. The very heat in your body comes from the sun indirectly. The sun of course is not eternal, but compared to the human life span it can be considered virtually eternal, it’s so much vaster. And it gives freely of itself, millions and millions of years of pouring out energy.
              I think he misspelt his surname and should sack his Barber. I started thinking about 'readers wives' when I saw that.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I read it a few years ago, really recommend it. Do you mind me asking why your doctor recommended it?

Comment

Tolles works are kind of in the same vein as Mindfullness, etc.
                  (I recommend understanding Mindfullness first though. It's more science-centric, less of the spiritual padding.)

I have read the Power Of Now, and there are some good ideas, but mostly padded out.

Krishnamurthy, if you can tolerate his convoluted presentations, is also good.

Depends why your doc offered Tolles work to you, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSauce View Post
                    I read it a few years ago, really recommend it. Do you mind me asking why your doctor recommended it?
                    Not my doc, a doctor at the Bupa health centre. Recommended it to cope with life's ups and downs (well downs mostly...).

Nothing to lose by reading it I guess.

Comment

Working...
                    X