• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ADOBE

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADOBE

Another example of exploitative behaviour by a large corporation that has wriggled its way into the public sector. I want to download a form that will enable my son to apply for a national insurance number and I have to download software at a cost of £17.50 a month from Adobe.

When I challenge them through their silly little messaging system they replied:

I understand your concern. Just so you know, the software you're about to purchase is so powerful that it can be used to deliver amazing output and to create great projects.

to which I replied:

I have managed (I work in IT and engineering) for 20 years to work perfectly well without your product so why would I need it now? mad

I am voting labour from now on
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Why don't you just get a 30day trial of acrobatX

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

I am voting labour from now on
      Given the performance of the centre right in the Dutch government, when I get my dual nationality I will probably vote for the SP, the former communist party, because if they continue the trend set by others for doing exactly the opposite of everything they promised, things will look quite good.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Acrobat reader is free. Although I can't see why you need it.

HM Revenue & Customs: Applying for a National Insurance number

Download the reader here, if you don't already have it.

http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

Remember to uncheck the little "let mcafee **** my computer up" box though.
        Last edited by doodab; 13 November 2013, 16:57.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by RedSauce View Post
          Why don't you just get a 30day trial of acrobatX
          See the second part of his username. Not a brilliant techie.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Eh? I don't think so somehow, you dont have to pay for anything
            Last edited by Boney M; 13 November 2013, 17:01.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              I want to download a form that will enable my son to apply for a national insurance number and I have to download software at a cost of £17.50 a month from Adobe.
              Lend this money to your son and charge 2100% interest.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Lend this money to your son and charge 2100% interest.

HTH
                I have got him sweeping chimneys
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

You also have to be careful with these things, if your neighbourhood scrotes know you're downloading paedofiles (PDFs) then you're in for some real trouble. Also, intention doesn't matter, it's the downloading that's the problem.

Seriously though, many places tell you that you need Adobe Acrobat when what they really mean is that you need Adobe Reader. Even then, you don't really want to be installing anything to do with Adobe unless you really need to, I use Foxit for a far lighter and less troublesome tool. Edit: Both Reader and Foxit are perfectly capable of filling in PDF forms, other tools are available...

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
                    You also have to be careful with these things, if your neighbourhood scrotes know you're downloading paedofiles (PDFs) then you're in for some real trouble. Also, intention doesn't matter, it's the downloading that's the problem.

Seriously though, many places tell you that you need Adobe Acrobat when what they really mean is that you need Adobe Reader. Even then, you don't really want to be installing anything to do with Adobe unless you really need to, I use Foxit for a far lighter and less troublesome tool. Edit: Both Reader and Foxit are perfectly capable of filling in PDF forms, other tools are available...

Comment

Working...
                    X