• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boooomed/advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boooomed/advice needed

Hello. 2.5 months into a 6 month gig and client co already got sign off on budget for an extension. That has to be some sort of record?

Anyway should I get them to tear up the current contract and get them to issue another one with revised dates. Or simply change the schedule with new dates. Pretty sure it would be a bad idea to wait a few months for them to produce a new contract. Want to make sure there is no implied Moo. Also get it in writing /snap their hand off
    "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

Just the one boom eh?

Given that it's so early get them to reissue the contract. List it on your CV as an extension.

HTH
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Also, I'd start threads like this in the business forum. Here be dragons. Bit of luck I was first on the scene, could have been carnage.

HTH

Comment

Haha I'm happy for people to speak their minds! Well done on the double boom btw
        Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Just the one boom eh?

Given that it's so early get them to reissue the contract. List it on your CV as an extension.

HTH
          Don't do this. You lock in now, you give up the chance to negotiate a rate rise at the end of your first 6m, its too early to ask for a rise at 2.5m

You know their position (it's in the bag), why lock in? Something better might come along in the next few months.
          The market is generally picking up.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
            Don't do this. You lock in now, you give up the chance to negotiate a rate rise at the end of your first 6m, its too early to ask for a rise at 2.5m

You know their position (it's in the bag), why lock in? Something better might come along in the next few months.
            Right on cue

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post

Interesting perspective thanks!
              Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by No2politics View Post
                Interesting perspective thanks!
                Kind of political response there N2P

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  Kind of political response there N2P
                  I hadn't really considered that approach, so I'm definitely glad of the input. And from a strictly financial perspective you could argue it's the right move.

However this contract is very important to me for a number of reasons.
                  -it's diversifying my experience, and will almost certainly lead to lots of new work with clients I wouldn't have been able to reach otherwise
                  -the day rate is the highest I have ever billed and it's working from home. I might be able to match the rate elsewhere but not the conditions
                  -the client is from my personal network, not an agent and new client. So I'm less inclined to negotiate up since I know there is no leech in the middle.
                  Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Its also a very ir35 friendly engagement

So to summarise I'm going to try and lock them down into a new contract.
                    Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Working...
                    X