• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC World Cash Back... What is the point.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC World Cash Back... What is the point.

Am looking to get a Samsung Note 10.1, the 2014 version.

They are offering a time limited £50 cashback when bought.

So we went into the store, and I showed the wife the one on display, as she will be using it too, she liked it so, I said I wanted one.

"Sorry sir we don't have any in stock"

WTF!

"We can order it online for you and you still get the cashback"

"Ok" I say, but they don't have in stock online either.

Give me strength. A company the size of Currys/PCW World and they don't have any available.

They offer cashback and then have no stock to fulfil the sale or the cashback offer. Great ploy.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Am looking to get a Samsung Note 10.1, the 2014 version.

They are offering a time limited £50 cashback when bought.

So we went into the store, and I showed the wife the one on display, as she will be using it too, she liked it so, I said I wanted one.

"Sorry sir we don't have any in stock"

WTF!

"We can order it online for you and you still get the cashback"

"Ok" I say, but they don't have in stock online either.

Give me strength. A company the size of Currys/PCW World and they don't have any available.

They offer cashback and then have no stock to fulfil the sale or the cashback offer. Great ploy.
    Perhaps the promotion was so successful they ran out because mugs like you were desperate to get an extra £50 off. Of course, they'd upped the bloody price £50 a few weeks earlier to pull you in like a guppy.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I went to buy a laptop on special offer at pissy world and was told there was on five in the country at the time of advertising
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

PCW was tulip 10 years ago when ecommerce was only starting up, only useful to see real product (if they have it on demo) or for emergency purchases.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          I went to buy a laptop on special offer at pissy world and was told there was on five in the country at the time of advertising
          I had this issue the other week, wanted to buy a laptop for my daughter for her studies (she's nearly 24) went into PCW and saw a very nicely specified Asus on display, NO STOCK!!!

Twice in a month, I've wanted to give them my money and they don't have the item available.

edit : I actually emailed their Customer Support at the end of last week to ask WTF is going on.
          Last edited by Scrag Meister; 18 November 2013, 08:10.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I had this issue the other week, wanted to buy a laptop for my daughter for her studies (she's nearly 24) went into PCW and saw a very nicely specified Asus on display, NO STOCK!!!

Twice in a month, I've wanted to give them my money and they don't have the item available.

edit : I actually emailed their Customer Support at the end of last week to ask WTF is going on.
            Argue about the waste of time going to get something, and they might send for a £10 voucher.

Which you can't spend because they have no stock
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

yep,...

and in fact even if they do have the stock you want actually getting some pimply faced mouth breather to commence some form of commercial transactions is like pulling fooking teeth

just take my fookin money

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Yes, the ads pull you in to the store.

They did a really bad job of selling you an alternative product, which is their intent

EDIT: also, are they EVER cheaper than buying online from Amazon? So you have to wait 24 hours to get the item

Comment

PC world are all about shifting cheap tulip at maximum mark up.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    Yes, the ads pull you in to the store.

They did a really bad job of selling you an alternative product, which is their intent

EDIT: also, are they EVER cheaper than buying online from Amazon? So you have to wait 24 hours to get the item
                    I find them cheap on apple products by the time I deduct the 8% I save by purchasing a gift card in advance (thanks HSBC) and toss in the cashback you can get.

When you look at what I paid for my macbook pro last year compared to the full retail price it is a scary difference.

Retail £1799.99
                    Black Friday price £1619.99

actual cash paid £1490.40
                    -VAT saving £270
                    -topcashback £135

actual cost to me £1085 roughly....

and at that price it was very hard to turn down.....
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X