• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suicidal Cyclists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suicidal Cyclists

So we went to the food show on Friday, (London Olympia) I drove in as wheelchairs & public transport don’t mix.

I remembered all the news saying 5 cyclists dead in 9 days & reminded myself to be vigilant, my overriding thought is now, only 5? Bloody hell the car drivers are being careful !!

Disclaimer: yes I am generalising but from that 1 day; my experience was 9/10 motorbikes are sensible, 2/10 cyclists and 1/10 mopeds.

No idea what the solution is..
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    So we went to the food show on Friday, (London Olympia) I drove in as wheelchairs & public transport don’t mix.

I remembered all the news saying 5 cyclists dead in 9 days & reminded myself to be vigilant, my overriding thought is now, only 5? Bloody hell the car drivers are being careful !!

Disclaimer: yes I am generalising but from that 1 day; my experience was 9/10 motorbikes are sensible, 2/10 cyclists and 1/10 mopeds.

No idea what the solution is..
    A lot of drivers in London also seem to have given up on the idea of indicating, which doesn't help (and might account for some of those cyclist deaths).
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Its about the visibility, speed, position, decision making and communication from the cyclist.

Many are falling at the first point and therefore are doomed with the rest.

Comment

Inn the particular case of the Bow roundabout (the latest death, and two previous) the situation is made worse by the fact that up until they get to that roundabout the cyclists are riding on CS2 (big blue painted cycle path). As it enters the roundabout it's not obvious to cyclists where the correct route is, the marked cycle path stops halfway around the junction,you have to leave the cycle route to make certain turns and drivers are not necessarily aware that cyclists are in traffic with them, having seen CS2 painted down the road up to that point and assume that cyclists are still on the cycle route.

It's a god awful junction for anyone to use.

Yes, a lot of cyclists need to start using their heads and learning some proper road craft, but drivers also need to be more aware that there are other road users about who aren't in cars or lorries.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Agree DaveB. And let's not forget that there are one or two quite evil people out there, like this morning as I was slowly filtering through the traffic on the Ninja, I saw a guy look in his right mirror and deliberately move his car across the white line to stop me passing. He didn't and got a little tap on his roof.
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
            Agree DaveB. And let's not forget that there are one or two quite evil people out there, like this morning as I was slowly filtering through the traffic on the Ninja, I saw a guy look in his right mirror and deliberately move his car across the white line to stop me passing. He didn't and got a little tap on his roof.
            On one memorable occasion I was deliberately run into the gutter at a junction by a white van full of young lads, who laughed their arses off as they were doing it.

Comment

100 cyclists were stopped on Vauxhall bridge this morning for failing to have lights and other things.

I don't know how long the operation last but near me they last about 3 hours.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                100 cyclists were stopped on Vauxhall bridge this morning for failing to have lights and other things.

I don't know how long the operation last but near me they last about 3 hours.
                I which they'd do more of that. And catching the red light jumpers as well.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                  Retaliatory plumbing eh? Nice idea!
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

See that blocking type attempt a fair bit.

Though also see a lot of filtering contrary to the rules specified in the highway code too.

Bit more patience from everybody would make everything a whole lot easier for everybody. Won't happen of course.

Comment

Working...
                    X