• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What number?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What number?

Well, been onsite in this contract since February. CIO from the US is out this week and wants to take me to dinner to discuss more permanent arrangements.

No idea what number to suggest to him I might consider going perm for. As ever in these situations, the risk of offending him/the company is quite high. I don't think they can afford me so need to strike the balance right of making that clear whilst at the same time not pissing them off. Also need to cover the remote possibility that if they say yes to the number it's something I'd be happy with.

Decisions decisions. Suity..what would you do? Any less experienced opinions?

If you go perm

hand in your username & p/w on the way out!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      Well, been onsite in this contract since February. CIO from the US is out this week and wants to take me to dinner to discuss more permanent arrangements.

No idea what number to suggest to him I might consider going perm for. As ever in these situations, the risk of offending him/the company is quite high. I don't think they can afford me so need to strike the balance right of making that clear whilst at the same time not pissing them off. Also need to cover the remote possibility that if they say yes to the number it's something I'd be happy with.

Decisions decisions. Suity..what would you do? Any less experienced opinions?
      Ask MF's its worked out well for him!
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I think dodgy has suggested a suitable figure elsewhere on this page.....
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

how big is the company and how senior will you be? The bigger the company then the bigger the wonga and if its a big company then the CIO probably will not be surprised if you ask for a lot he will know what he is prepared to pay. Also you need to think of the number in "package" terms, ie how much is basic salary how much is pension, bonus etc etc.

good luck
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

What if you simply say "I'd want to be earning as much as I do now, including perks"?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              Also need to cover the remote possibility that if they say yes to the number it's something I'd be happy with.
              This is the main thing you need to worry about IMO.

I have had similar informal discussions recently. I've made it clear that in the past I haven't taken such offers seriously because they've always offered me a pay cut with an "upside" (shares, bonus etc) that if it pays off will mean I just about break even. Why would I take the risk when I won't win anything?
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                What if you simply say "I'd want to be earning as much as I do now, including perks"?
                My day rate is lower than sas but high enough to make that a very unlikely outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  This is the main thing you need to worry about IMO.

I have had similar informal discussions recently. I've made it clear that in the past I haven't taken such offers seriously because they've always offered me a pay cut with an "upside" (shares, bonus etc) that if it pays off will mean I just about break even. Why would I take the risk when I won't win anything?
                  Cheers doodab, this is my current thinking, in fact I had that very share/bonus scenario play out a couple years ago and ended up losing out. Fool me once...

Comment

If the permie number is really big, don't risk it.

Simply tell him you are happy running your little consultancy company and not interested in going permanent.

If he wants to play with numbers let him. Maybe he'll keep trying and hit the number you want after a few guesses.

Comment

Working...
                    X