• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Team lead having nervous breakdown

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Team lead having nervous breakdown

Jesus wept. This could only happen to me.

Came in to this contract a few months back. Mainly just come in to an office with two other blokes and don't see the rest of the business apart from chit chat at the coffee machine.

Team lead bloke seemed an incompetent David Brent character - and pretty redundant. Didn't really see the need for him. Makes a lot of mistakes. He seemed well liked in the business though.

Then last week he had a meltdown in a meeting. A bizarre argument about some meaningless graphic (was it the latest version - yes - no - I think you'll find) with a very senior manager. Then he spent the afternoon making collages of staff members faces on photoshop. The HR manager walked in and asked him what he was doing. Then he refused to go to a meeting.

Wonder what will happen there. Thing is I don't really know many others here so scrabbling around to see who should be my reference from this gig. Trying to distance myself at a rapid pace.

Perhaps the collage was a valid deliverable?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
      Jesus wept. This could only happen to me.

Came in to this contract a few months back. Mainly just come in to an office with two other blokes and don't see the rest of the business apart from chit chat at the coffee machine.

Team lead bloke seemed an incompetent David Brent character - and pretty redundant. Didn't really see the need for him. Makes a lot of mistakes. He seemed well liked in the business though.

Then last week he had a meltdown in a meeting. A bizarre argument about some meaningless graphic (was it the latest version - yes - no - I think you'll find) with a very senior manager. Then he spent the afternoon making collages of staff members faces on photoshop. The HR manager walked in and asked him what he was doing. Then he refused to go to a meeting.

Wonder what will happen there. Thing is I don't really know many others here so scrabbling around to see who should be my reference from this gig. Trying to distance myself at a rapid pace.
      You mean you haven't networked to make allies and future references before now??

Lesson learned for the next time then...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        You mean you haven't networked to make allies and future references before now??

Lesson learned for the next time then...
        Yeah, fair point. I make all the usual witty repartee at the coffee machine but I don't really do any professional work with anyone else. I wonder if I should have a chat with one of the managers to clearly distance myself.

Comment

Most of the time this happens I figure it is people working their ticket.

Except when it happens to suity, that is a diagnosable psychotic episode.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Perhaps the collage was a valid deliverable?
            It sounds like something out of a movie. He was cackling away to himself while doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Most of the time this happens I figure it is people working their ticket.

Except when it happens to suity, that is a diagnosable psychotic episode.
              Wonder if he'll get walked.

Weird when the guy who has been setting your goals (badly) suddenly becomes completely unreliable. Not sure where to put myself.

Comment

Wasn't there a poster on here who made collages out of people's avatars? Last I heard he'd gone permie.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
                  Wonder if he'll get walked.

Weird when the guy who has been setting your goals (badly) suddenly becomes completely unreliable. Not sure where to put myself.
                  As far as way away as possible.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I don't see the problem, how does it reflect on you that he is going off on one? If anything it's a good thing, project will go pearshaped and you will be there to step in and clean it up.

Comment

Working...
                    X