• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent demanding DOB before submission to client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent demanding DOB before submission to client

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster here. Please be gentle...

I've been dealing with an agent who seems a little dodgy to me for a few reasons. After much negotiation on rate, he is ready to submit me to the client but is demanding to know my DOB. Of course I am not ready to provide this information yet and he is getting quite frustrated. He hasn't even let me know the client name, only the industry.

Is there any real reason for him to require my DOB? Other than to steal my identity or discriminate on age?

Cheers.

Originally posted by benten View Post
    Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster here. Please be gentle...

I've been dealing with an agent who seems a little dodgy to me for a few reasons. After much negotiation on rate, he is ready to submit me to the client but is demanding to know my DOB. Of course I am not ready to provide this information yet and he is getting quite frustrated. He hasn't even let me know the client name, only the industry.

Is there any real reason for him to require my DOB? Other than to steal my identity or discriminate on age?

Cheers.
    I doubt he will be stealing your identity but I'm sure its to discriminate on age. What is the role for? I can't see this happening in senior roles though...

Comment

I'd only expect to give DOB if I had an offer and was going through security checks of some kind (e.g. SC clearance). They haven't told you the client name yet so something smells bad here.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
        I'd only expect to give DOB if I had an offer and was going through security checks of some kind (e.g. SC clearance). They haven't told you the client name yet so something smells bad here.
        +1
        totally irrelevant at application stage unless for clearance.
        If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Cheers, that was my opinion too, big warning signs..

Comment

Agree with the rest. Never been asked for DoB at that stage before that I can remember.

Just out of interest, do you sound extremely young or very old on the phone? Has something caused him to ask. I am sure he should know he shouldn't ask normally.

I know it's no excuse and all that, just wondering why the agent has decided to push the issue.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Make up a DOB.

Then if asked why you made it up state that your company directors don't allow their employees to give out that information due to security risks.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I don't think I sound too young and there's no way I sound old (I'm 30). I clearly state that I have 10 years of experience so I can't appear too young.

Anyway it was all a bit weird- could barely understand the agent and kept having to ask him to repeat himself 2 or 3 times. But he submitted me in the end, even though I refused to give him a DOB!

Comment

Originally posted by benten View Post
                  I don't think I sound too young and there's no way I sound old (I'm 30). I clearly state that I have 10 years of experience so I can't appear too young.

Anyway it was all a bit weird- could barely understand the agent and kept having to ask him to repeat himself 2 or 3 times. But he submitted me in the end, even though I refused to give him a DOB!
                  He wasn't Indian was he?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have heard of some end clients using DOB as a unique identifier eg we have 200 John Smith's on our ATS we need to know which one.

It's very rare and as others have advised, provide a random one.
                    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Working...
                    X