• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lorry hire for removals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lorry hire for removals

Maybe this belongs in technical, but ..

What is the largest van/lorry one can drive with a normal driving licence?

Background is I have hired a large self-storage unit off the M3, and have to shift a shed load (well several shed loads) of books, furniture, and marble and granite tiles which weigh several tons, to said unit myself and would rather minimise the number of trips.

In other words, what would be the web search term? I thought "HGV", but don't want to be lumbered with a giant removal lorry which I'm not qualified or inclined to drive. But on the other hand I don't want to end up with a tiny van either.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Background is I have hired a large self-storage unit off the M3, and have to shift a shed load (well several shed loads) of books, furniture, and marble and granite tiles which weigh several tons, to said unit myself and would rather minimise the number of trips.

In other words, what would be the web search term? I thought "HGV", but don't want to be lumbered with a giant removal lorry which I'm not qualified or inclined to drive. But on the other hand I don't want to end up with a tiny van either.
    It will say what categories you can drive on your license. I think it depends on when you passed your test. Sometimes it is just better to get a professional removals company in - try http://www.removalslondon.co.uk.

Comment

If you are an oldie, it's 12t
      Look on the back of your licence

BTW, get one with a tail lift
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I would have a google for local removals guys. They will have;

a) a bigger truck than you can drive
        b) someone to help shift the stuff and
        c) an uncanny ability to make everything fit in one trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          I would have a google for local removals guys. They will have;

a) a bigger truck than you can drive
          b) someone to help shift the stuff and
          c) an uncanny ability to make everything fit in one trip.
          +1
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

There is no "normal license" it depends completely when you got your license. My grandfather is allowed to drive anything, I am barely allowed to drive anything and for sure, less than you.

As someone said, look on your photocard license and there should be some pictures.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

To answer the OP, I have C1E which covers

"Vehicles of between 3500kg and 7500kg pulling a trailer weighing over 750kg.
              (Combined weight of no more than 12000kg.)
              "

Comment

Darn, being in lodgings during the week I don't have my driving licence to hand.

But I got it in (cough) 1979.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by RedSauce View Post
                  It will say what categories you can drive on your license. I think it depends on when you passed your test.
                  There was no test back then or license for that matter. I'm sure when licenses came in in 1909 he just got one by default.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Darn, being in lodgings during the week I don't have my driving licence to hand.

But I got it in (cough) 1909.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X