• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charging by deliverables (start to finish) model ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging by deliverables (start to finish) model ...

...i.e. proper consultancy, as opposed to bum on seat, "time and materials", daily rate is so much more lucrative - not to mention non-IR35 since (1) the "right to substitution" is implied and (2) it's easy to have multiple contracts at the same time and (3) you work from your own premises.
    Basically you are expected to bill like the big boys: since I was new to this game I was a bit tentative, but I distinctly get the impression from my clients that I'm good value (i.e. undercharging)
    That is going to change.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    ...i.e. proper consultancy, as opposed to bum on seat, "time and materials", daily rate is so much more lucrative - not to mention non-IR35 since (1) the "right to substitution" is implied and (2) it's easy to have multiple contracts at the same time and (3) you work from your own premises.
    Basically you are expected to bill like the big boys: since I was new to this game I was a bit tentative, but I distinctly get the impression from my clients that I'm good value (i.e. undercharging)
    That is going to change.
    Oh goody, bullsh!t bingo!

Comment

this might help

BBC News - Q&A: The living wage
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        Oh goody, bullsh!t bingo!
        You'll always be very limited.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

You'll always be very limited.
          Face it, you miss AL
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

That is going to change.
            It is the way forward. Do you tend to find these engagements are typically shorter than day rate ones though?

Sometimes a long term gig on nice rate is hard to turn down.

The ultimate would be a retainer and a payment depending on the measurable uplift in profit!
            "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
            Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by No2politics View Post
              It is the way forward. Do you tend to find these engagements are typically shorter than day rate ones though?

Sometimes a long term gig on nice rate is hard to turn down.

The ultimate would be a retainer and a payment depending on the measurable uplift in profit!
              Yes these engagements are shorter: the two I've had this year were 3 and 4 months respectively. But that's all you need since they pay far more (more than double) than the average IT dev contract: that's both because of the charging model and the skill set.
              I don't see why IT dev where there are clear deliverables couldn't do the same, but you do need some negotiation skills and the ability to present to senior staff.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

I don't see why IT dev where there are clear deliverables couldn't do the same, but you do need some negotiation skills and the ability to present to senior staff.
                The real issue is the clear deliverables. There are plenty of fixed price IT contracts but they invariably involve a fair slice of pre-sales / proof of concept / discovery work done at cost to the consultancy before an SoW can be produced. A large organisation can afford to take that on but it's proportionally riskier for a one man band as they'll struggle to do this across multiple clients.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Yes these engagements are shorter: the two I've had this year were 3 and 4 months respectively. But that's all you need since they pay far more (more than double) than the average IT dev contract: that's both because of the charging model and the skill set.
                  This is why a lot of devs will/cannot do it, they have trouble making small talk with other humans let alone spinning to people that hold the purse strings.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    The real issue is the clear deliverables. There are plenty of fixed price IT contracts but they invariably involve a fair slice of pre-sales / proof of concept / discovery work done at cost to the consultancy before an SoW can be produced. A large organisation can afford to take that on but it's proportionally riskier for a one man band as they'll struggle to do this across multiple clients.
                    That's an excellent point. It has proved to be a slight issue with my current client (hence my hard work and lack of posting ). In the end I persuaded them to pay for some of the initial discovery/POC work as an extra fixed-price cost.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X