• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to fail a technical test

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to fail a technical test

Client co has one of he better technical tests I've seen. It's quite simple here is some tulip code and some failing unit tests you need to ensure the code passes the tests.

Today we got a contractor who took a different approach. Having spent ages trying to work out what to do he changed the unit test to ensure it instantly passed
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Client co has one of he better technical tests I've seen. It's quite simple here is some tulip code and some failing unit tests you need to ensure the code passes the tests.

Today we got a contractor who took a different approach. Having spent ages trying to work out what to do he changed the unit test to ensure it instantly passed
    Kobayashi Maru?

Comment

Lateral thinking - excellent!

Comment

Test classes are usually a pile of tulipe anyway,

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          Lateral thinking - excellent!

But remember he's a technical guy so the only right answer is the one he's come up with.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Did they specify which of the two could be changed and which couldn't? If not, then that's the fault of whoever issued the instruction to "ensure the code passes the tests".
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Test classes are usually a pile of tulipe anyway,
              Cases.

There IS the problem that bad coders will write bad tests which don't properly cover their bad code and fail to show how bad their code is. While good coders will write good tests which demonstrate how good their code was in the first place.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Top marks?

If the brief is make sure the code passes the test hasn't he done the lateral or, rather, correct action in changing the test rather than changing the code?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Kobayashi Maru?
                  LOL. That is the first thing I thought when I read this.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I think i worked with him on my last contract...
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                    X