• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The other side of the 'fence'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other side of the 'fence'

An interesting insight from a CEO of an agency posted on a LinkedIn discussion.

The key challenge is sorting the wheat from the chaff for both 'sides' is my impression:

Chris Hitchens
    CEO at Platform People

Having worked my way up from being a Junior PM to Programme Director in over 6 sectors and now run my own consultancy which has a recruitment arm, I can only sympathise with what has been said.

Firstly, let’s look at what could be better with employers. Unfortunately, we will get requests for resource that turn out to be no more than a client wanting a 'free salary survey'. i.e. you get to hear that ‘the role is now filled; we have put that on hold’ etc.

Equally, we also see the ‘cut & paste’ job descriptions from HR who will not let my guys talk to the Hiring Manager to discuss what actual 'outcomes' they want the incumbent to achieve. Or even worse, there is a large Recruitment Process Outsourcer (RPO) in place who will not let you speak to the client, let alone the Hiring Manager.

What could be better about Recruiters? Well, lots! I have hired good ones and I have fired a lot of bad ones. The bad ones have had the wrong behaviour incentivised... A lot of recruitment companies pay a very small basic, so the guys have to fill roles to earn a salary. The focus then switches to volume and not quality; you may have heard of the ‘spray and pray’ approach.

If you want to navigate around this, ask the consultant if they have actually spoken to the person you will be interviewed by; have they spoken to the person you will be working for? Ask them how long the role has been live and whether you are in the first wave of applicants. They will either be honest with you, or waffle. You will soon deduce if it is a waste of your time.

From a recruiter’s point of view I can only talk about my company. We get on average 481 applicants for any jobs we post. Most are applicants from overseas without Visas; some are other recruitment consultants trying to data-mine. Some are plants by competitors of the client, who subsequently ring up demanding feedback :-) You can understand if a recruitment consultant is a little reluctant to give too much away as they would be packing their desk up mins later. Some are candidates who just mindlessly apply for every job and 1 or 2 have taken the time to tailor their CV, all the pertinent points are at the top of the 1st page and the CV is 3 pages max. These are the guys that get interviews.

So when does it work well? What about good employers and good recruiters? Our best and mutually beneficial relationships are when one of the recruitment guys can actually talk to a hiring manager and understand the business need for the role, rather than being handed a generic job description and told they have 48hrs to produce CVs.

The issue as I have experienced it on both sides of the fence, is that recruitment is paradoxically seen as an overhead and it has been commoditised so much, it is seen as valueless. It is run by either HR or procurement who, through no fault of their own, don’t know a lot about the job being advertised and they are some of the lowest paid people in the organisation… you work it out.

My advice here is to find a couple of Recruitment Consultants that you like and want to work with. These are people who are invested in finding you a job that you are going to do well in, it entices repeat business, so it’s a win-win. I suggest meeting them and building a working relationship. There will be a lot more trust between you both & you will be 'front of mind' when that killer job comes up.

However, if you have commoditised recruitment and think all consultants are blood sucking leaches (as did I when I was getting 5 calls a day and 100 irrelevant CVs as a Programme Director) then I can tell you there are good ones out there who want to do a good job & take as much pride in their job as you do in yours.

This won’t solve your problems, but I wanted to give you some insight from someone who is working on all three sides of the recruitment transaction.

Remember, even recruiters have to recruit and that, my friend, is hell on earth… Good luck!

And his response to a question on why no feedback is very measured and honest.

I like the guy!

With regards to feedback, in a perfect world you would apply and get feedback. There are numerous reasons I can share as to why you wouldn't:

1. The employer's HR dept has the same policy on feedback that they do on references. Basically, the less they say the less active damage to their reputation. I.e. 'So and so said I was to experienced, this must mean I am too old - I am making a claim...' I have seen this happen when candid feedback has been given. Alternatively they just give zero or scant feedback and we end up here :-)

2. The candidate has been rude to the consultant, or has acted in an unpleasant manner throughout the process... Would you be willing to give candid and objective feedback to some pre-madonna project Rottweiler on the end if the phone, that you aren't going to get paid for? This happens more than you know as the consultants are usually the only ones visible in the process. If the cap fits...

3. Volume. If the agency is working to low margins, it means they need more live vacancies to make ends meet. That means all their time will be spent looking for the right candidates.

4. Opportunity cost. The consultant will spend the rest of their time finding 'back-ups' for when the star candidates ring at 23:59 to say they have accepted another deal, rendering all the work done to date useless. Ringing a client and telling them that 'joe blogs has pulled out and has taken another job' is a very unpleasant experience.

Unfortunately the hardest part of any business is people. There are many more reasons just because of the amount of moving parts!

A key point is that, how you search for your next job is a very good indication as to how good you are going to be in your next job....

With 481 applicants per job, what makes you stand out? What's your differentiator? Are you easy to transact with? Do you make the recruitment consultant want to work hard on your behalf, or are your frustrations getting the better of you?

Comment

A good read

However!

all the pertinent points are at the top of the 1st page and the CV is 3 pages max. These are the guys that get interviews.
      I don't agree. I've had many an interview, my CV is seven pages. The point is more made I believe when using an intermediary. My experience working directly with clients is that they're more than interested to read about my project history. This is about six pages + the front page of the CV.

My advice here is to find a couple of Recruitment Consultants that you like and want to work with. These are people who are invested in finding you a job that you are going to do well in, it entices repeat business, so it’s a win-win. I suggest meeting them and building a working relationship. There will be a lot more trust between you both & you will be 'front of mind' when that killer job comes up.
      That's his agenda. If he really believed in what he's saying, why not charge a fixed price for the match-making service? Why continue to charge for as long as the consultant is working with the client?

We should be the same except spend the energy finding hiring manager directly yourself. Don't waste your time with intermediaries.

This may come as a shock but I do use intermediaries myself. Largely because they're finding the requirement long before I do. On occasion I find out who the hiring manager is and go direct.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

And Scooterscot's response to all this is very measured and honest.

I like the guy!

HTH

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Fair points but the fact remains thus

1) Any company is there to make money - recruitment companies are no exception.
          2) Most recruitment consultants have to generate their own leads and business - and thus they are actually salesmen.
          3) The sole interest of a salesman (or woman!) is to make sales and generate money - they will tell you exactly what you want to hear as long as you say yes.

It's a dog eat dog world use and abuse rec companies they way they abuse you.

Comment

interesting - can I have the link to the linkedin discussion please?

cheers
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              It's a dog eat dog world
              And yet some dogs still hunt in packs. Funny that.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Most companies don't understand effective project management. They ask for project managers (a lot even ask for formal PM accreditation) but most don't want a project manager. They want a technical team leader who can do a bit of admin. If they wanted a project manager they wouldn't be asking for technical skills of any kind. At a recent interview 70% of the questions I was asked were very technical in nature and nothing at all to do with project management.
                This is a well made point. I have seen lots of roles on this on Jobserve in the last week. I fail to understand why they have called the role as a PM when they should have been upfront and honest and just said Product Owner, Product Manager, Test Manager, Scrum Master.

I also find it amazing in many organisations I have worked in the trend to reducing admin/secretarial/PA staff has put unnecessary requirements on "team managers" in achieving simple things like booking a room - when there are no rooms free too much time is lost chasing down somewhere to have a meeting, when a handful of people suffer this problem they decide they want a "project manager" to take some of their load off them?

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                  This is a well made point. I have seen lots of roles on this on Jobserve in the last week. I fail to understand why they have called the role as a PM when they should have been upfront and honest and just said Product Owner, Product Manager, Test Manager, Scrum Master.

I also find it amazing in many organisations I have worked in the trend to reducing admin/secretarial/PA staff has put unnecessary requirements on "team managers" in achieving simple things like booking a room - when there are no rooms free too much time is lost chasing down somewhere to have a meeting, when a handful of people suffer this problem they decide they want a "project manager" to take some of their load off them?
                  Which is an interesting point - however some PM's I have come across just seem to manage a budget sheet and a gant chart. They do not actually mamage the project rather the project happens and they record things on excel spreadsheets/gant charts - almost to a point where they are not actually responsible for delviering the project.

In additon they do not book rooms etc - an action may be taken away for something to happen but it is not down to the PM to make it happen.... which is strange because for me part of the PM role was facilitation of meetings etc.

Comment

Which is an interesting point - however some PM's I have come across just seem to manage a budget sheet and a gant chart. They do not actually mamage the project rather the project happens and they record things on excel spreadsheets/gant charts - almost to a point where they are not actually responsible for delviering the project.
                    That sounds more like a Project Planner/Co-ordinator than a Project Manager.

In additon they do not book rooms etc - an action may be taken away for something to happen but it is not down to the PM to make it happen.... which is strange because for me part of the PM role was facilitation of meetings etc.
                    Err something wrong there the PM is supposed to make sure those things happen either through facilitation or kicking!

Comment

Working...
                    X